- 3 Days from$1068 p/p in USD
- DeparturesYear Round
Guided, Small Group
A beautiful safari areas, the Ngorongoro Highlands is a dramatic range of volcanic mountains which straddle the Rift Valley escarpments. Enjoy exploring the wildlife-rich Ngorongoro Crater while away from the crater, crossing these huge landscapes on foot is a real experience as you hike around Empakai Crater in the company of a Masai guide. If you have more time you can explore the less well known natural features further afield such as Olduvai Gorge, Gol Mountains, Mountain Lolmalaisin and Lake Ndutu.
- Safari types:Big Five Safari, Camping Safari, Guided Safari, Wildlife Safari
- You will visit:Ngorongoro Crater
- Wildlife:Big Five, Birds, Antelope, Zebra, Giraffe, Hippo, Crocodile, Cheetah, Hyena, Wildebeest, Baboon, Waterbuck, Warthog
- Activities:Game Drive, Hiking
- Getting around:4x4 Safari Vehicle
- Start/end:Start/end in Moshi or Arusha
- Maasai Cultural Boma visit
- Ngorongoro Crater tour game viewing
- East African Rift Valley viewpoint
- Empakai Crater flow – walking safari
- You will visit Tanzania
- Tour starts and ends in Arusha or Moshi
- The main activities include game drives and walking safaris
- Drive in 4×4 Land Cruiser
- Airport transfer in included
- Accommodation before and after the safari is not included
- Departs every day
Price Per Person – USD
From USD 1,068 per person
- Accommodation and meals as per itinerary
- All national park entry fees
- Exclusive service of a professional driver and guide
- All camping fees
- All camping equipment: tents, mattress, pillows, sleeping bags
- Food and drinking water
- All game drives in a four-wheel drive Land Cruiser
- All village fees
- International flights
- Optional activities
- All items of personal nature
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Bantu Pori Journeys‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Bantu Pori Journeys‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Today takes you to the Ngorongoro Crater from Arusha town. You will spend the day in the Ngorongoro Crater floor for incredible game viewing. Ngorongoro Crater is the largest intact caldera in the world, a cooking pot shaped collapsed volcano, with a crater 259 square kilometers (100 square miles) in area and walls 600 meters (1970 feet) in height. It is believed that the Ngorongoro Crater volcano was originally as tall or even taller than Mount Kilimanjaro, one of the highest mountains in the world.
Ngorongoro Crater became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1979, as part of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, which also includes two other craters. It’s also known as the ‘Garden of Eden’, due to the crater’s beauty and its paradise for animals. Many significant fossils have been found in the area surrounding the Ngorongoro Crater, some of which can be found in a nearby museum, and burial mounds have been found in the crater itself.
Ngorongoro Crater is host to approximately 30,000 to 40,000 birds and animals, most notably some stunning pink flamingos and the rare black rhino. In the centre of the Ngorongoro Crater is a salt-water lake by the name of ‘Makat’ or ‘Magadi’ and to the east of the crater is a spring named Ngoitokitok Spring. The Ngorongoro Crater sees approximately 450,000 tourists a year, who are required to be accompanied by a guide and a permit.
In the evening before 6:00 pm you will drive out of the crater for your overnight stay on the crater rim at Simba public campsite.
After breakfast your driver guide will drive you to Nainokanoka Maasai village where you will meet your Maasai guide on the slopes of Olmoti Crater. The hike proceeds to Empakai Crater (4-6 hrs) where on arrival you will have time to explore the rim of the crater. Your camping will be on the crater rim to minimize the environmental impacts on the crater floor ecosystem.
Note: extra days can be added here to explore the Olmoti Crater. The Olmoti Crater is the primary fresh water supply for the Ngorongoro Crater and is full of wildlife, birds and the Munge Waterfalls. You will camp at a Maasai boma (compound) on your extra day.
The morning is spent exploring the Empakaii Crater floor with a picnic lunch. The lake is a primary breeding ground for flamingos, the forest is full of birds while buffalo and hyena inhabit the plains. There is a good chance of spotting leopard in the early morning. In the afternoon you will drive back to Arusha or Moshi town for dinner and overnight.