available in Canada
Reserves and Wildlife
With its incredible landscapes and huge swathes of wilderness, the vast country of Canada is brimming with epic wildlife adventures. It’s home to large, charismatic mammals including black bears, grizzly bears, polar bears, caribou and moose as well as whales and dolphins.
The second largest country in the world has an endless variety of spectacular landscapes. Jaw-dropping mountains, glistening glaciers, lush rainforests, emerald lakes, remote beaches and the world’s longest coastline are the backdrop for awe-inspiring experiences – wildlife viewing, adrenalin activities, fascinating culture and gastronomic delights.
Churchill, Manitoba, known as the ‘Polar Bear Capital of the World’, is where thousands of visitors head every year from July to November (prime time Oct-Nov) to see polar bears in their natural habitat – and the odds of sighting one are pretty high. Other arctic wildlife to spot include beluga whales, caribou and arctic foxes.
Banff and Jasper National Parks in the stunning Rocky Mountains are the heart of grizzly bear country. These fearsome and fascinating bears are the country’s most iconic animal while in the Great Bear Rainforest in British Columbia you might be lucky to see the elusive spirit or kermode bear – a rare species of black bear that appears white because of a double-recessive gene.
Look for the goofy moose in the enormous boreal forest Foret Montmorency, Quebec, at dusk or dawn on a moose safari. The best time of year for sightings is during rutting season (late Sep to mid-Oct). Also keep your eyes peeled for timber wolves, black bears, beavers, otters, porcupines and 140 species of bird.
The waters off the coast of British Columbia and Vancouver Island are rich in marine life – spot orca, humpback, grey whales and minkes as well as seals, sea lions and porpoises, from May to October. You can whale watch from a high-speed Zodiac, comfortable cruiser or even a historic sailboat for a week-long luxury adventure.
- Jun-Aug – High Season. Sunshine and warm weather across most of the country, but accommodation prices increase (up 30% on average). Dec-Mar is busy season in the ski resorts.
- May, Sep-Oct – Shoulder Season. Temperatures are cool and comfortable. Less busy and prices fall. Attractions often open for shorter hours. During Fall in some places like Cape Breton and Quebec it remains busy.
- Nov-Apr – Low Season. It’s dark and cold and places close outside the big cities. Bargains can be found in April and November.
- Currency – Canadian Dollar
- Languages – English and French
- Size – 9.98 million square kilometres
- Population – 36,286,425
Health & Safety
- There are no required vaccinations for Canada, but check with your doctor and make sure your routine vaccinations are all up-to-date.
- Jaw-dropping and varied landscapes
- Exceptional land and marine wildlife
- Wide range of accommodation
- Wealth of activities on offer
- Year-round destination
- Vast distances across the country
- Accommodation prices can rise by 30% during the busy summer months
Arriving in Canada
- Major international airports across the country include Toronto, Halifax, Ottawa, St John’s, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver
- Arriving by land along the US–Canadian border is via around 25 official border crossings from New Brunswick to British Columbia
- There are domestic flights across the country, Air Canada is the largest operator serving some 150 destinations
- Ferry services are extensive, especially throughout the Atlantic provinces and in British Columbia
- To rent a hire car or campervan you usually need to be over 25 years old – this is a great way to explore
- VIA Rail operates the train services and has some classic trains travelling on long distance routes
Sailing the Great Bear Rainforest
- 8 Days
The Great Bear Rainforest of Canada's Western British Columbia is home to orcas, eagles, wolves, black...
Departures:Aug, Sep, Oct
Start/end:Start/end in Bella Bella or Terrace, British Columbia
Grizzlies & Orcas of Vancouver Island
- 5 Days
On this eco-adventure go in search of orcas and grizzlies in Canada's pristine waters and wilderness...
Departures:May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep
Start/end:Start/end in Vancouver
Classic Polar Bear Adventure
- 6 Days
A fantastic polar bear experience, this small group adventure includes two full days and an evening excursion...
Start/end:Start/end in Winnipeg
Polar Bear Mothers and Cubs
- 7 Days
On this small group expedition, spend time in the heart of polar bear denning territory and with luck...
Start/end:Start/end in Winnipeg