available in Russia
Reserves and Wildlife
Russia, the world’s largest nation, borders European and Asian countries as well as the Pacific and Arctic oceans, spans eleven time zones and ends less than 85 km from North America. It has a formidable pool of recreational resources, including natural landscapes of endless variety and inimitable beauty, monuments of history and cultural heritage, unique engineering structures, and unmatched cities, towns and smaller communities
Within its vast landscapes lie the largest freshwater lake in the world, rivers and forests teeming with fish and wildlife, awe inspiring volcanoes and towering mountains. Russia’s scale is simply mind boggling with enormous tracts of land and its natural and cultural heritage waiting to be discovered.
The most famous natural tourist destination in Russia is Lake Baikal, named the Blue Eye of Siberia. This unique lake, oldest and deepest in the world, has crystal-clean waters and is surrounded by taiga-covered mountains.
Other popular natural destinations include Kamchatka with its volcanoes and geysers, Kareliawith its many lakes and granite rocks, Altai with its snowy mountains and Tyva with its wild steppes as well as the Republic of Adygea for Fish Mountain, Chechnya Republic for Lake Kezenoyam and Republic of Karelia for Ruskeala.
- Nov – Apr – Low Season. It’s pretty chilly at this time of the year with snow blanketing the country creating a wintery wonderland. It’s a good time for skiing and winter adventures in the snow covered forests.
- May & Oct – Shoulder Season. Late spring and early autumn is a good time for a number of cultural events and great for travelling in the countryside. Overall this is an ideal time to visit.
- Jun – Sept – High Season. Hot weather means everyone is on holiday. Expect higher prices and pre-book all transport.
- Currency – Ruble
- Languages – Russian, English in major centres
- Size – 17,075,200 km2
- Population – 144,463,451 (2017 estimate)
Health and Safety
- Cities, towns and villages steeped in history
- Ancient fortresses, palaces and churches
- Beautiful countryside
- Incredible train journeys
- Large distances to travel
- Some places are quite rustic, particularly in rural areas
- Bureaucracy can be part of the travel experience
Arriving in Russia
- Russia is very well connected with Europe and beyond by a multitude of airlines
- Transit via Moscow or fly direct to a regional centre
- The distances in Russia can be vast, but often the journey is part of the experience, for example the Trans-Siberian Express
- Many nationalities require visas – check before you travel Russia Visas >>
Russia - Safari Tours
Baikal West to East
- 9 Days
This 9-day tour travels around Lake Baikal, one of the most spectacular lakes in the world. It's home...
- Departures:Jul, Aug
- Length:9 Days
- Start/end:Start in Irkutsk, end in Trans Siberian Express
Nenet Migration Yamal Peninsula
- 16 Days
Live with nomadic Nenet reindeer herders in the Yamal Peninsula for a week. Fully immersive cultural...
- Length:16 Days
- Start/end:Start/end in Moscow
Big Altai Camping
- 7 Days
An adventurous camping trip through the Altai mountains to the Mongolian border. You will be surrounded...
- Departures:Year Round
- Length:7 Days
- Start/end:Start in Novosibirsk, Gorn-Altaysk or Barnaul airports, end in Novosibirsk, Gorn-Altaysk or Barnaul airports
Partners offering Safaris in Russia
Countries in the same Region
- 42 Partners
- 39 Tours
A country full of colour, natual beauty, incredible wildlife and remarkable architecture, as well as a tapestry of races, cultures and philosophies, India is a soul-stirring and wondrous place to visit. The diverse landscapes are breathtaking, while the national parks provide ample opportunity of close encounters for wildlife enthusiasts.
- 31 Partners
- 29 Tours
After years of uncertainty, stunning Sri Lanka is opening up, brimming with breathtaking wonders to be explored – sandy beaches lined with palm trees, rich green foliage, verdant tea plantations, impressive wildlife, rich cultural heritage.
- 3 Partners
- 4 Tours
Mongolia is a landlocked country in East Asia, located between Russia and China. With only around 3 million inhabitants, this large country has one of the lowest average population densities in the world....
- 4 Partners
- 3 Tours
Vietnam is a beautiful country with a multitude of unforgettable adventures waiting to be experienced. The fast paced mega-cities are teeming with life and activity which contrasts with the raw natural...
- 2 Partners
- 5 Tours
China is home to both the world’s oldest living civilization and the world’s largest human population. The Great Wall of China, temple-topped mountain sides and sprawling rice terraces are just some...
- 31 Partners
- 19 Tours
The kingdom of Nepal is wedged between the majestic Himalayan montain range and the tropical foothills of northern India. It is an adventure travellers paradise, filled with snow capped peaks, mystical monastries and surprising wildlife encounters, offering trekking in the north and wildlife parks in the south.
- 2 Partners
- 1 Tours
Along the ancient Great Silk Road, Kyrgyzstan boasts incredible natural beauty; dramatic mountains, thermal springs, summer pastures, rich flora and fauna as well as fascinating nomadic traditions and yurt-dwelling shepherds.
- 3 Partners
- 1 Tours
Home to one of the oldest rainforests in the world, spectacular coastline, high mountain ranges, an abundance of incredible wildlife and extensive biodiversity, Borneo sets the perfect scene for a memorable adventure.