- 7 Days from$4360 p/p in USD
- DeparturesYear Round
Guided, Large Group, Small Group
Luxury, Mid Range
This is a rare and breathtaking experience trekking through beautiful Rwandan forest searching for the majestic mountain gorilla, chimpanzees and golden monkeys as well as seeing a wealth of bird life along the way. It’s a truly unforgettable experience spending time with these fascinating primates. The trip also includes a nature walk to see a scenic waterfall and optional boat trip to explore islands.
- Safari types:Birding Safari, Chimpanzee Safari, Gorilla Safari, Guided Safari, Jungle Safari, Primate Safari, Trekking Safari
- You will visit:Volcanoes, Nyungwe
- Wildlife:Mountain gorillas, golden monkeys, numerous birds
- Activities:Nature Walk
- Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
- Start/end:Start/end in Kigali
RATES – PER PERSON USD
From USD 3360 per person
- Transport in a 4WD safari vehicle exclusive to you
- English speaking driver guide
- Accommodation and meals as stated in the program
- All guide fees
- ONE Gorilla tracking permit per person
- International airfares
- Excess baggage charges
- East African entry visa fees
- Vaccinations and inoculations
- Items of personal nature not mentioned in the inclusions
- Porter fees, tips and gratuities
- International airport departure taxes
- Optional activities unless specified on the itinerary
- Travel Insurances
- Driver guide or local escort tips
- Drinks and dining rooms tips, porter age, personal travel and baggage
- Telephone bill, laundry and any items of a personal nature
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Virunga Ecotours‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Virunga Ecotours‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Arrive Kigali airport where you’re met by our representative and transferred to your hotel. Briefing on your safari.
Overnight: Kigali Serena or Lemigo Hotel
After breakfast you will be picked up and depart for Nyungwe National Park which is about 6½ hrs drive via Butare. En route visit the famous National Museum at Butare and the ancient King’s Palace at Nyanza. Ethnographic objects are grouped together according to the theme giving premium information on the daily life. Traditional ceramics and basketry are still manufactured and are some of the finest handicrafts of the region. The National Museum remained surprisingly untouched during the civil war in 1994. Have lunch in Butare and thereafter continue to Nyungwe National Park arriving for dinner and overnight at your hotel.
Overnight: One & Only or Nyungwe Top View Hotel
Take an early morning breakfast then drive to the park for the starting point of your chimpanzee trek, with a packed lunch. Nyungwe National Park is the largest block of Montana forest in East and Central Africa and it is an incredibly rich area of biodiversity. Later depart for your nature walk visiting Kamiranzovu waterfall. The forest comprises amongst many things at least 200 tree species over 280 bird species and more than 100 different types of colorful butterfly which make it a true feast of the senses for the nature lover. Later return for dinner and overnight at your hotel.
Overnight: One & Only or Nyungwe Top View Hotel
After breakfast drive alongside Lake Kivu to the northern resort town of Rubavu. The road offers panoramic views of the lake and hilly Rwanda countryside. Have lunch at Karongi before proceeding to Rubavu for overnight.
Overnight: Kivu Serena
Optional boat ride to explore the nearby islands and if time permits undertake a city tour of Gisenyi, thereafter drive to Musanze for overnight.
Overnight: Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge or 5 Volcanoes
After an early breakfast, you will proceed to the National Park headquarters at Kinigi to meet your guides for the day. After completing park formalities, you embark on a once in a lifetime experience of tracking mountain gorillas. Once you spot them you are allowed to spend an hour watching your closest long lost cousin, an hour you will never forget. Return to your hotel for lunch, later in the afternoon visit the beautiful twin lakes Bulera & Ruhondo.
Overnight: Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge or 5 volcanoes
After breakfast drive to RDB park headquarters, then enter the forest to trek the golden monkey, an associated species of the blue monkey only found within the Virunga area. The trek will take you until midday, have lunch and in the afternoon drive back to Kigali airport to catch your outbound flight.
Write A Review
Customer Reviews (1)
Recommendation for Virunga Community Programs
I’m a nature freak. I travel a lot just to see different plants and animals in their habitat. Early this year, I traveled to Uganda, Rwanda and Congo, particularly to trek the mountain gorillas. I wanted to do this in Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda. My tour service was Virunga Community Programs. What I mostly liked about their services is the way they take their business seriously. Everything was done to clinical precision. Their time management was laudable. I highly RECOMMEND Virunga Community Programs as your tour partner.