- 7 Days from$5350 p/p in USD
- DeparturesYear Round
Guided, Small Group
In the thick forest of Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park search for the endangered mountain gorilla, in Nyungwe National Park track chimpanzees and go on a canopy walk through the forest, while in Akagera National Park, which is rich in wildlife and birds, head out on game drives and a boat cruise on Lake Ihema. There’s also an opportunity to visit a cultural village which aims at improving the lives of communities around Volcanoes National Park through conservation incentive and community enterprise development.
- Safari types:Chimpanzee Safari, Cultural Safari, Gorilla Safari, Primate Safari, Trekking Safari
- You will visit:Volcanoes National Park, Akagera National Park, Nyungwe Forest NP, Lake Kivu
- Wildlife:Mountain Gorilla, Chimpanzee, Antelope, Birds, Hippo, Zebra, Buffalo, Crocodile, Hyena, Warthog, Waterbuck
- Activities:Game Drive, Walking Safari, Trekking, Boat Cruise, Canopy Walk/Tower, Cultural Experience
- Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
- Start/end:Start/end in Kigali
Price Per Person – USD
From USD 5,350 per person
- Accommodation on full board basis in chosen category
- All park entry fees in all parks mentioned
- Services of an experienced driver/guide
- Gorilla permit
- Cultural walk
- Lake cruise
- Guided walk
- Chimp trekking
- Airport transfers
- Clean bottled water, 2 bottles per person per day
- All government charges & taxes, except visa & health certificates
- International flights and visa
- Extra meals in the lodges or campsites
- All drinks except drinking water which will be provided
- All items of personal nature
- Laundry in the lodges during thes afari
- Tips/ gratuities for Tour Guide, porters & cooks (tipping is highly recommended as this is the way to show gratitude to your guide for a great service they have rendered to you, but giving is according to client satisfaction)
- Travel insurance
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Dominion Tours & Adventure Safaris‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Dominion Tours & Adventure Safaris‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
On arrival at Kigali Airport (or a location in Kigali city), you will meet our company representative/guide who will transfer you to the home of the endangered mountain gorillas, Volcanoes National Park. This is a 2-3 hours driver from Kigali city to Musanze province. Arrive at your lodge in Ruhengeri for relaxation, dinner and overnight stay at your chosen lodge/hotel.
After an early morning breakfast, you will be transferred to the park headquartersi for a briefing about the endangered mountain gorillas from the park warden. Along with your trekking gear, drinking water and packed lunch, the driver will drop you off at the starting point to trek the gorillas together with the ranger guides. This activity may take between 1-8 hours searching for the gorillas depending on their movement and you must be in a very good health and physical fitness. However meeting them is so rewarding and you will spend maximally one hour with them as you take time studying them and taking pictures and videos. After spending your time with the fascinating mountain gorillas, return to the base and meet your driver to connect to your lodge for lunch and refresh.
After lunch there is time available to take a cultural walk to Iby’iwachu Cultural Village. This is a non-profit umbrella organization that aims at improving the lives of reformed poachers and communities around Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park through provision of conservation incentives, supporting community enterprise development and livelihood based projects. It’s a rewarding place where you will be guided around as you enjoy the Kinyarwanda traditions including the Intore dance, traditional ceremonies and a guided community walk. Return to your lodge for relaxation, dinner and overnight stay.
After an early morning breakfast at the lodge, depart for Lake Kivu, an hour’s drive to Rubavu where you enjoy the morning breeze at the shores. Spend an hour there then proceed on your 4-5 hour drive to Nyungwe National Park with lunch en route. Nyungwe forest is the oldest and largest rain forest in East Africa. Arrive in the park in the late afternoon and check in to your lodge for relaxation, dinner and overnight stay at the chosen lodge/hotel.
Enjoy breakfast before a briefing about the endangered chimpanzees then entering the forest in search of the active and playful fellows in Nyungwe forest. The chimpanzees are much easier to spot as they jump from one tree to another, chattering and laughing. Chimpanzee tracking usually takes about 3 hours. On finding them, spend an hour while taking pictures and videos. Then return to your accommodation for lunch.
After lunch, you will go on a walking trail that will take you to the Canopy Walk – a swing bridge 50 meters in length that is suspended from large trees. You will have a bird’s eye view of the amazing rainforest, spotting wildlife moving about below you. Before night fall, you will return to the lodge for dinner at the chosen lodge/hotel
After early morning breakfast at your lodge, embark on your journey to the eastern province of Rwanda to visit Akagera National Park bordering Tanzania. The journey is about 5-6 hours drive from Nyungwe National Park with stopovers at Nyanza King’s Palace and Rwanda National Museum. On arrival at the park, enjoy an en route game drive to introduce you to the beautiful scenery as you spot animals on your way to the lodge, check in for relaxation, dinner and overnight stay at the chosen lodge/hotel.
After a morning breakfast, you will embark on a game drive around the park for rewarding wildlife views. Expect to encounter the Big Five, the recently introduced rhinos along with other animals including giraffes, warthogs, waterbucks, zebras, hyenas and different antelope species. There are also over 500 species of birds in the forest. The game drive may last for about 3-4 hours. Return to lodge for lunch and relax as you wait for the next activity.
In the afternoon, the driver will pick you up for a boat cruise on Lake Ihema, the second largest lake in Rwanda after Lake Kivu. The boat trip exposes you to plenty of wildlife on the lake shores which come to cool off and drink water including hippos, buffaloes, huge crocodiles and birds such as malachite kingfisher and fish eagle. After the amazing cruise, return to the lodge for relaxation, dinner and overnight stay.
Have breakfast then take a brief game drive to spot more wildlife and birds. Later transfer back to Kigali, a journey of about 2-3 hours passing through the scenic landscape of Rwanda. If time is available before your return flight, visit places in Kigali city, have lunch then precede to the airport catch your flight.