9 Days from$4050 p/p in USD
Guided, Small Group
Luxury, Mid Range
This is a birding expedition designed to discover the endemics of Yucatan and other specialties. Visit nature reserves, archaeological sites and the island of Cozumel, home to unique and endemics bird species such as Cozumel emerald, Cozumel vireo, Cozumel wren, Yucatan flycatcher, black-throated bobwhite, Yucatan vireo, yellow-backed oriole, Yucatan jay, green jay, Ruddy woodcreeper, Mexican sheartail, American flamingos, and many more.
Safari types:Birding Safari, Guided Safari
You will visit:Cozumel
Activities:Walking Safari, Boat Cruise
Getting around:Bus, Motor Boat
Start/end:Start/end in Cancun International Airport
- Bird watching
- Nature and Wildlife
- Trip may include activities like walks, hikes and boat rides
- Minimum 2
RATES – PER PERSON USD
From USD 4050 per person based in double occupancy
Single Supplement USD 355
Not valid for
- 19 Dec 2019/2020 to 05 Jan 2020/2021
- 05 April to 11 April 2020
- All lodging as per itinerary, sharing room with en-suite facilities
- All meals from dinner day 1 to breakfast day 9 (2 soft drinks per meal included)
- Ground transportation mentioned in the itinerary
- Boat transportation at Ria Lagartos
- Collective ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel round trip
- Birdwatching specialized tour guide full time from day 1 – 9
- Local guides in each destination
- Check list
- Reserve and parks entrance fees
- Hotel taxes
- Extra charges for payments with credit card (4%)
- International flights
- Difference in price of hotel accommodation on holidays (Holy week, Christmas and New Year season)
- Travel insurance
- Telephone calls, laundry or any other items of personal nature
- Tips to drivers and guides
- Non specified services
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Birding Expeditions‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Birding Expeditions‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Meet & greet at Cancun International Airport and transfer to Ria Lagartos Biosphere Reserve (3–3.5 hours). If time permits, we start today exploring the reserve.
Early morning, we will take a boat ride to explore the estuary looking for endemics like Yucatan Wren, Mexican Sheartail, Yucatan Bobwhite, Yucatan Flycatcher and of course many Flamingoes and shorebirds, salt flats are great spots for these birds. Zenaida Dove, resident Eastern Meadowlark and Yellow (Mangrove) Warbler can also be seen among others.
Early birding to find some missing birds and to get ready to drive to Felipe Carrillo Puerto town, on the way will do several stops.
Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve is a very large biosphere; we will explore the famous edge of the Reserve Vigia Chico road and start this day looking for Yucatan Jay, Orange Oriole, Rose-throated Tanager, Yucatan Woodpecker, Yucatan Parrot. Many chances to spot other species like Ruddy and Tawny Woodcreeper, Royal Flycatcher, Smoky-brown Woodpecker, Buff-bellied Hummingbird, White-bellied Emerald. Tonight we will go out to find Yucatan Nightjar and Yucatan Poorwill.
Today after a morning exploring Vigia Chico Road, we go ahead to Bacalar Lagoon area. Our target birds are going to be Gray-collared Becard, White-bellied Wren, Olive Sparrow, Blue-ground Dove and Black-faced Antthrush.
Early morning drive to Tres Garantias road, a very different habitat where the target species are Red-Capped Manakin, White-collared Manakin, Rufous-tailed Jacamar, Scaled Pigeon, White-necked Puffbird, Black-throated Shrike-Tanager and Gray-headed Tanager.
Morning drive to Playa del Carmen, several stops along the way for birding purposes.
This morning we will take the ferry to Cozumel Island, known for its abundance in endemic species. Here we will spot for specialties like Cozumel Emerald Hummingbird, Cozumel Vireo; Cozumel Wren and of course many residents like Black Catbird, White-crowned Pigeon, Caribbean Elaenia and Western Spindolis. Afternoon return to Playa del Carmen
Breakfast then transfer (1 hour) to Cancun Aairport in time to catch your international flight back home.