10 Days from$4535 p/p in USD
Guided, Small Group
Luxury, Mid Range
On this action-packed birding safari in Belize discover tropical avifauna such as the rare crested eagle and visit a variety of fascinating habitats – tropical rainforest, rivers, lagoons, islands and hundreds of small caves within the second largest barrier reef – which together support about 600 bird species. Located in the heart of the Maya world and bordered by Guatemala to the west and south, Mexico to the north and the Caribbean to the east, Belize is the only English speaking country in Central America. It has a land area of 22,965 km2, with most of the territory being flat coastal plain, broken in the south by the Maya mountains that reach a height of 1,124m.
Safari types:Birding Safari, Guided Safari, Jungle Safari, Wildlife Safari
You will visit:Rio Blanco National Park
Wildlife:Birds, Owls, Raptors, Waders and Ducks, Spider Monkey
Activities:Game Drive, Boat Cruise
Getting around:Bus, Motor Boat
Start/end:Start/end in Belize City International Airport,
Itinerary in Brief
- Day 1: Arrival – La Milpa Ecolodge
- Day 2: La Milpa Ecolodge
- Day 3: La Milpa Ecolodge
- Day 4: Crooked Tree – Bird’s Eye View Lodge
- Day 5: Crooked Tree – Bird’s Eye View Lodge
- Day 6: Caye Caulker
- Day 7: Caye Caulker
- Day 8: Hidden Valley Inn
- Day 9: Hidden Valley Inn
- Day 10: Transfer to the airport with a stop at Belize zoo
Price – Per Person USD
From USD 4535 per person, based on double occupancy
Single Supplement USD 625
Not valid for
- 19 Dec 2020 to 05 Jan 2021
- Easter period
- All lodging as per itinerary, sharing room with en-suite facilities
- All meals from dinner day 1 to breakfast day 10 (2 soft drinks per meal included)
- Ground transportation mentioned in the itinerary
- Boat transportation at Crooked Tree
- Collective water taxi from Belize to Caye Caulker round trip
- Birdwatching specialized tour guide full time from day 1 – 9
- Local guides in each destination
- Check list
- Reserve and parks entrance fees
- Hotel taxes
- Extra charges for payments with credit card (4%)
- International flights
- Difference in price of hotel accommodation on holidays (Holy week, Christmas and New Year season)
- Travel insurance
- Telephone calls, laundry or any other items of personal nature
- Tips to drivers and guides
- Non specified services
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Birding Expeditions‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Birding Expeditions‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Meet & greet at Belize international Airport and depart to Rio Bravo Conservation & Management Area. A night walk to see owls will be available for those interested. Lodging at La Milpa Ecolodge.
Birding at La Milpa Archaeological Site, a top location in Belize to find the rare crested eagle and other large raptors. Spider monkeys play in the canopy and are a favorite meal for crested eagles. Lodging at La Milpa Ecolodge.
Birding around Rio Bravo Conservation & Management Area for species such as crane hawk, great curassow and the brightly colored ocellated turkey. Lodging at La Milpa Ecolodge.
Birding around blue creek rice fields for several migrant waders and ducks. After lunch departure to Crooked Tree where you stay at Bird’s Eye View Lodge.
Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary tour on a boat in search of the jabiru stork, snail kites, black-collared hawk and dozens of ducks, egrets, herons, and waders. Lodging at Bird’s Eye View Lodge.
Sunrise birding on the western lagoon and the edge of Crooked Tree village in search of typical savannah species such as the Yucatan jay and yellow-headed parrot. After lunch, we depart to Belize city and continue by collective boat to Caye Caulker.
Birding around Caye Caulker forest reserve for species such as clapper rail and rufous-necked wood rail and common black hawk. Along the beachfront, we might find godwits and brown boobies, as well as waders skimming through for small crustaceans.
Departure from Caye Caulker in a collective boat to Belize city and head to Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve with a stop at Green Hills Butterfly Ranch to see hummingbirds as well as hook-billed kites and gray-headed kites which have regularly been spotted at this spot too.
Birding around Hidden Valley Private Reserve for rare raptors such as the orange-breasted falcon, king vulture, solitary eagle, stygian owl and aplomado falcon. In the afternoon we head to Rio Frio cave for encounters with blue-crowned motmot, orange-billed sparrow and golden-crowned warblers. Montezuma oropendolas, rusty sparrow and plumbeous kites can frequently be seen along the way as well.
Breakfast and transfer to Belize International Airport with a stop at the Belize Zoo on the way.