available in Travel Safety Tips
Reserves and Wildlife
Vietnam, once a war-torn country, is today a sought-after safari destination. It is known for its stunning cities, towering mountain peaks, serene seascapes, and diverse wildlife. A country with a rich cultural heritage, it has beautiful pagodas and Buddhist temples. Vietnam’s bounty has turned it into a spectacular safari destination attracting people from all corners of the world.
Our travel safety guide provides visitors with safety tips to help them have a great adventure in Vietnam. Vietnam is a safe country to visit, and visitors only need to take a few precautions and be alert as they would in any foreign country.
Vietnam travel advice for safari and cities
- Covid-19 vaccinations are mandatory for people who want to visit Vietnam. Refer to CDC’s vaccination guide for Vietnam to find out more about the recommended vaccinations.
- Only book your trips through reputed safari agencies. Do your research before you make a decision. You can refer to websites such as TripAdvisor, where people share their world travel experiences, which might help answer your questions.
- A little patience goes a long way in Vietnam. The locals respond better to kind and patient tones, so keep your cool.
- Avoid packing valuables on your safari tours. Only pack essential items such as passports, visa, other necessary documents, 2-4 sets of clothes, sunglasses, and hat. What you pack usually depends on numerous factors such as weather conditions and duration of the trip.
- In Vietnam, the daytime temperatures usually run high. In spite of the heat, Vietnamese dress conservatively, so wear modest clothing.
- Since Vietnam is a conservative country, public displays of affection are frowned upon by locals.
- Dress modestly on your trip to Vietnamese Pagodas. Most of these Pagodas are religious establishments and Buddhist temples.
- Bottled water is the key to avoiding a traveller’s upset stomach. When you purchase bottled water, ensure that the seal is intact – don’t get a bottle if you think the seal is damaged or has been tampered with.
- Store your valuables in your hotel safe. Avoid flashing jewellery, credit cards, expensive digital cameras, and other valuables in public.
- Read through your rental car agreement and restrictions before you head out on a drive. It will also include information and helpful advice about driving around in Vietnam.
- Documents required to rent and drive a car in Vietnam: Passport copy, existing national driving licence (should be translated and notarised), international driving permit, filled out rental car application form, 3 passport size photographs, 3 months valid visa and processing fee (around 5 USD/120,000 VND).
- In Vietnam, you drive on the right-hand side of the road.
- Although the legal age for renting a car in Vietnam is 21, some rental car agencies may charge you extra if you are younger than 25.
- The speed limit for rural roads is 40-60 kph, and for cities is 30-40 kph.
- People driving rental cars aren’t allowed to drive in prohibited areas. As such, avoid driving in rivers or streams, on ice, on foreshore terrains and off roads. Check the rental restriction guidelines provided by your car rental agency.
- Drunk driving is intolerable and prohibited in Vietnam.
- Invest in good insurance offered by the car agencies. Visitors will have to pay extra for the insurance, but it is essential. Go through your insurance document and figure out what it covers. Before you head out on the self-drive, remember to check the vehicle for damage. Don’t forget to document (take pictures) the dents and any other damages already present on the car. Mention them to the agency and have them mention those damages in the rental agreement.
- Most rental car agencies in Vietnam come with GPS for easier navigation of Vietnam’s streets and roads. Rental cars are usually equipped with air conditioning, airbags, toolbox, and spare wheel.
Vietnam travel advice for self-drives
Vietnam Travel Advisory (Resources)
6-Day Best of Vietnam’s Mountains
- 6 Days
This is one of the most exciting and spectacular adventures in Vietnam’s mountains. Untouched by tourism,...
Start/end:Start in Hanoi, end in Hochiminh
14-Day Vietnam Nature Treasure
- 14 Days
A delightful opportunity to relax and discover nature, this is a great combination of nature and culture...
Start/end:Start in Hanoi, end in Hochiminh
Epic Vietnam Waterfalls & Lakes Tour
- 3 Days
Discover the beauty of Ba Be Lake and the magnificent Ban Gioc terraced waterfall on a Vietnamese rural...
Start/end:Start/end in Hanoi