8 Days from$1700 p/p in USD
Guided, Small Group
Be inspired, create new partnerships and share your skills on this incredible Malawi expedition. Understand more about the key role of women in Malawi and the effects this can have on the development of rural communities. Meet female entrepreneurs in a seminar event, spend 24 hrs with a family in a rural village, taking part in daily village life and learning more about the power of micro loans and banking at community level., sleep under canvas on safari and on Lake Malawi work with a local youth group mentoring school students, learning more about the challenges facing young people in Malawi today and the role of women in society.
‘There is no tool for development more effective than the empowerment of women.’ – Kofi Annan
Safari types:Cultural Safari, Educational Safari, Wildlife Safari
You will visit:Lake Malawi National Park, Liwonde National Park, Zomba-Malosa Forest Reserve
Activities:Game Drive, Walking Safari, Boat Cruise
Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
Start/end:Start/end in Blantyre
Malawi is Africa at its purest, offering unique and extraordinary travels. From its undulating mountains to the shores of its stunning lake, the fact that Malawi has traditionally been overlooked as a mainstream destination means that you will find hidden gems at every turn, Malawi supports a diversity of landscapes, ecosystems and cultures and is affectionately known as ‘The Warm Heart of Africa’.
Entrepreneurship in Malawi
Wherever you turn in Malawi you see industry, busy-ness, creativity and determination. Entrepreneurs, in Malawi, need more than just passion and a good idea, they need contacts, a good education to navigate the corporate systems and a lot of luck to ensure they succeed. The country is rich in entrepreneurship yet incredibly poor in the support it can offer SME’s. For many young female entrepreneurs it is a battle of wills, a fight against cultural norms and an ability to survive against all the odds.
Highlights and Key Objectives
We aim for your expedition to provide a platform for practical learning opportunities, to gain an understanding of the challenges of rural Malawian culture and make time for inspirational relationships to be formed. Each segment of the expedition also ties in with one or more of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Women’s Entrepreneurship Forum Event (Partnership for the Goals)
- Homestay with a Malawian Family (No Poverty)
- Women’s role in the village: micro- finance (Gender Equality, Zero Hunger)
- Wild Life Game Drive and River Boat Safari (Life on Land/Life Below Water)
- Literacy in rural village setting (Quality Education/Gender Equality)
- Mentoring young Malawian girls at secondary school (Quality Education)
- The main language in Malawi is Chichewa but English is taught at school and is widely spoken.
- Malawi has a good network of tarmac roads and journey times are usually between 1-4 hrs. We aim for you to arrive at your destination before dusk.
- Malawi has limited electricity supply (only 9% of the country is connected to mains electricity). Many hotels rely on back up generators and/or solar power.
- Malawi has good 3G connection across most of the country.
- Blantyre and Lilongwe are the country’s main cities and both have good hospital facilities.
RATES – PER PERSON GBP
From £1,300 pp, based on 10 pax
The Responsible Safari Company is committed to ensuring the benefits of tourism reach local communities and therefore has set up a Payment for Eco-System Services Scheme which contributes 1.5% of all bookings to a community environmental project in Malawi.
- All accommodation
- Meals (where stated)
- All transport (inc. fuel & driver)
- RSC Guide
- All project set up and support
- All activities (where applicable)
- Air evacuation cover
- All local taxes and bank fees
- Return tnternational flights
- Meals not included
- Activities not included
- Personal travel insurance
- Bar drinks
- Items of a personal nature
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Responsible Safari Company‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Responsible Safari Company‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Meet your RSC Guide and transfer to your Blantyre based hotel. Afternoon acclimatisation and visit to local market. Evening orientation briefing over dinner. (BB)
Women’s Entrepreneurship Forum highlighting the challenges and successes of women in business in modern Malawi. Spend the day with a group of inspirational female Malawian entrepreneurs, taking part in a number of presentations, workshops and skills sharing sessions. (BB)
Spend the morning visiting a number of female run small businesses in Blantyre before driving south to Zomba and a small village in the foothills of the plateau. Overnight with a Malawian family as part of a traditional homestay experience. (FB)
Rise early to the sounds of village life. Join in with the rest of the group and walk to visit the village banking group and learn more about the power of micro loans to small rural businesses. Depart after lunch to Liwonde National Park and head out on a safari game drive. (FB)
After a night under canvas head out on a river boat safari and watch herds of elephant coming to the banks of the Shire River to drink. Have lunch at Njobvu village before reaching the shores of Lake Malawi in time for a sundowner on the beach. (DBB)
Rise early and meet up with the local youth group and walk to Rainbow Village Secondary School. Spend the day working with the students: mentoring, careers advise, global citizenship, sports, literacy, numeracy. (FB)
Spend the morning visiting families of the students at Rainbow. Discuss the challenges to development. Have lunch with the youth group and return to the school for an afternoon of mentoring activities. (FB)
An early drive back to Blantyre and your international flight. (BB)
- Trip add-ons are available – contact us for more details.
- Tailoring your experience – we can tailor activities to your interests, skills and time frame. This itinerary is just an example of what can be achieved.