6 Days from$820 p/p in USD
DeparturesJan, Feb, Mar, Dec
This exciting independent self drive break is based in West Iceland’s mystical Snaefellsnes Peninsula. From winter 2011/12 orcas have arrived as early in the season as mid December and have remained until mid April. Based on their previous behaviour patterns, February, March and early April provide the optimum time for whale watching, though sightings are variable and unpredictable. With the freedom that comes with a self-drive holiday, you will also be able to explore the many natural treasures that Iceland’s western shores have to offer.
Safari types:Self Drive Safari, Whale Safari
You will visit:Reykjavik, Snæfellsjokull National Park, Grundarfjordur
Wildlife:Birds, Orca, White-Beaked Dolphin, Arctic Fox
Getting around:Rental Car
Start/end:Start/end in Reykjavik
- Join an orca watching boat trip in the bay (included)
- Look out for killer whales from the shore
- Explore the natural wonders of Snaefellsnes Peninsula at your leisure
- Two nights spent in the capital Reykjavik
In November 2014 the herring and the whales arrived in the waters off Grundarfjordur as usual, but from the early part of January to mid February sightings were few and far between. The reasons for this are not fully understood, but one view is that it was as a result of exceptional and unusual weather conditions. Obviously wild animal sightings cannot be guaranteed, but this behaviour was contrary to what had happened over the previous five years when there had been regular sightings of orca between mid December and mid April.
Price Per Person – GBP
From £670 Dec 2020 – Mar 2021 D – Skoda Octavia (4WD)
From £765 Dec 2020 – Mar 2021 H – Kia Sorrento
Note: Other variations such as single rooms, rooms without facilities, three or four people sharing a vehicle, will be quoted on request.
- Accommodation in rooms with private bathroom
- Daily breakfast
- Car rental throughout with unlimited mileage
- No charge for additional driver
- Whale watching excursion
- Exclusive use of iDiscover App
- 24 hour emergency assistance from our team during your holiday
- No surcharge guarantee
- Full financial protection
- Airfares are quoted separately to the holiday price and start from around £250 per person with Icelandair (with higher fares during peak times). When enquiring, our Travel Specialists will provide the best fare possible from your preferred airline / airport
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Discover The World‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Discover The World‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Arrive in Keflavik and collect your rental vehicle at the airport then transfer to Reykjavik for an overnight stay.
After breakfast make your way to the Snaefellsnes Peninsula. This 2,5 hour drive is a scenic route, with plenty of stop off points along the way. Check in to your hotel for 3 nights. With sweeping lava fields and the recognisable Snaefellsjokull dominating the landscape, this stunning region was the setting and inspiration for Jules Verne’s famous ‘Journey to the Centre of the Earth’.
Take a morning whale watching trip out into the fjord (starting at approx. 10:00). Hot chocolate and a snack will be provided on board. The length of the boat trip will depend upon whale sightings but is usually around 2-3 hours. Return back into Grundarfjordur for lunch (payable locally) and to enjoy an afternoon at leisure. You can either opt to explore the village on foot or explore the local area by car. Enjoy a relaxing evening and keep an eye out for the northern lights.
Explore the scenic Snaefellsnes Peninsula, we recommend you visit the fantastic coastal formations at Arnarstapi, as well as the fjords and fishing villages along its north side. With good weather you may have views of the mystical cone-shaped volcano and Snaefellsjokull icecap.
Leave Snaefellsnes Peninsula and drive back to Reykjavik for the last overnight stay. Explore the numerous restaurants and bars in the capital.
Transfer to Keflavik Airport, perhaps via the Blue Lagoon (pre booking essential) before dropping off your vehicle before your flight.