- 5 Days from$1,226 p/p in USD
- DeparturesMay, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep
The brown bear, with their often unpredictable nature and sometimes casual fierceness, still convey the pristine beauty of the natural world. Rarely seen during the day, an overnight stay in a hide is the perfect opportunity to get up close and personal with this truly iconic animal as they forage for food, clamber up the trees or run and play in the Finnish night. But Kuhmo has much more to offer than these majestic bears and as you stare into the night you may see one of the many elusive animals of Finland’s east, the awkward beauty of the wolverine, the cantering skill of the reindeer or the fluttering concentration of a sparrowhawk. And with days that stretch from twelve to sixteen hours, you will not be short of time to explore the natural beauty, whether by trail, boat or bike.
- Safari types:Bear Safari, Wildlife Safari
- You will visit:Kuhmo
- Wildlife:Birds, Brown Bear, Wolverine, Wolf, Lynx, Reindeer
- Activities:Hiking, Bicycle, Fishing, Swimming, Viewing Hide, Rowing Boat, Sauna/Hot Tub
- Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
- Start/end:Start/end in Kajaani
- Keep a night vigil from your hide near the Russian border, silently watching for the elusive brown bear
- Take in the scenic beauty with free use of rowing boats on the crystal-clear lake
- Search the skies and tree-tops for the region’s fantastic bird life
- Explore the wilderness trails by bike at your own pace (included)
This trip is based at timbered Hotel Kalevala, nestled on the shores of Lake Lammasjarvi amongst the Taiga forests. The hotel’s restaurant and outdoor terrace have great views over the lake, the delicious, locally-inspired gourmet cuisine doing its utmost to tear you away from the scenery. In between the bear watching, swimming in the lake and relaxing at the hotel there are also several day activities and excursions to take part in. They include guided bike and hiking trips, visit the nearby husky farm, fishing trips, elk safari and swim in the rapids.
Luxury Bear Cabin
You can upgrade to a luxury bear cabin for your overnight experience. Instead of the possibility of sharing a basic bear hide you can spend the night in one of the comfortable cabins with double bed, table and chairs, small kitchenette, WiFi and power sockets. This upgrade is available at a supplement of £364 per person.
Price Per Person – GBP
From £1,002 per person, based on two sharing a Standard Room
From £1,042 per person, based on two sharing a Superior Room
From £1,181 per person, based on two sharing a Suite
- Return flights from London Heathrow via Helsinki to Kajaani
- Accommodation in rooms with private bathroom at Hotel Kalevala
- Overnight in bear hide with shared facilities
- All breakfasts, all dinners, snack in the hide
- Visit to Petola Nature Centre
- Return transfers between the airport and hotel
- 24 hour emergency assistance from our team during your holiday
- No surcharge guarantee
- Full financial protection
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Discover The World‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Discover The World‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Fly to Kajaani. You are met at the airport and transfered to Hotel Kalevala (approx 90 minutes) where you stay for the next two nights with dinner included.
After breakfast and a welcome briefing, you have a day at leisure. There are several ways in which to explore and enjoy this amazing Finnish wilderness: cycling (free bike rental), hiking (free walking poles provided), swimming, fishing and rowing boats – all making the best of the great outdoors, of which there is plenty! After dinner, spend the evening relaxing, perhaps take a dip in the Jacuzzi and have a sauna or, at additional cost, try an acu-massage bed.
Visit the Petola Nature Centre nearby and enjoy your surroundings. In the afternoon transfer to the bear centre close to the Russian border, and after receiving information and an early meal, you’ll walk to the bear hides. The hides are equipped with viewing chairs and an amplification system to aid listening to the animals as well as a sleeping area with dry-toilet facilities. Remember to bring binoculars, tripod, bean bag or ball head (screw supplied). Settle down in these purpose-built hides ready for the night’s bear watch. A snack will be provided for you to take in to the hide.
Early morning transfer back to the hotel in time for breakfast. Rest of the day to relax, catch up on some sleep or continue to explore your scenic surrounds, ever watchful for wildlife. Overnight at Hotel Kalevala. In the unlikely event that bears were not seen when staying at the bear hide, a second night of bear watching will be included without additional charge.
Have breakfast, check out of the hotel and transfer to Kajaani Airport.