- 3 Days from$825 p/p in USD
- DeparturesYear Round
Explore the beautiful Khwai Concession with its grasslands, forests and floodplains. Spend the days game viewing – this is a good place to see the relatively rare roan and sable antelope amongst much more – enjoy the bush and experience a mokoro (canoe) excursion floating peacefully along the channels.
- Safari types:Big Five Safari, Camping Safari, Guided Safari, Wildlife Safari
- You will visit:Maun, Khwai Concession
- Wildlife:Birds, Elephant, Zebra, Lion, Leopard, Roan, Sable
- Activities:Game Drive, Mokoro
- Getting around:4x4 Safari Vehicle
- Start/end:Start/end in Maun
- Game drive
- Mokoro excursion
- 2 days accommodation in walk-in 3m x 3m tents with fully made, comfortable bedrolls on stretchers, bedside table with solar powered lantern, shared toilet tent and shower tent (towel supplied)
An 1800 km (180 000 hectare) area, Khwai Concession is situated in the north eastern Okavango next to the Moremi Game Reserve. It was formed by the local Khwai villagers and is managed by the Khwai Development Trust. The area used to be a hunting concession, but is now actively managed as a conservation area. The villagers took over the area when they moved out of the Moremi region when the Moremi Game Reserve was formed. The local community now runs eco tourism initiatives, actively conserve the environment and manage the wildlife in the concession.The Khwai River flows through the concession – it is the first major water source that animals migrating down from the Linyanti concession encounter and there is always a high concentration of game along the river.
The area is made up of sweeping grasslands, riparian forests and floodplains. The floodplains are flooded most of the year and there are lagoons covered in blue and white water lilies. The area also has large tracts of mopane forests. The riverine woodland consists of camelthorn, knobthorn, appleleaf and great stands of leadwood trees.
The Khwai Concession is a good area to see Roan and Sable Antelope which are relatively rare. On your Botswana safari you might see Kudu, Tsessebe, Wildebeest and Zebra. Huge herds of migrating Elephants enjoy the Mopane woodlands of the interior of the Khwai area. There are fairly stable populations of large predators such as Lion, Spotted Hyena and African Wild Dogs found here and if you are lucky, you may also spot Leopards.
The area has a good mix of habitats and you will see a good mix of wetland and Kalahari species. During the summer months migratory birds also come through. You might see Verreaux’s Eagle Owl, Senegal Coucals and Long Toed Lapwings.
Price Per Person – USD
From USD 825 per person
- Park fees and camping fees
- Service of a professional guide
- All meals(breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Game drive
- Mokoro Excursion
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Shipungo Safari & Tours‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Shipungo Safari & Tours‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Wake up early morning and have breakfast and your guide will pick you up from your lodge and brief you about the trip. Then depart to Khwai Concession. Upon arrival, the staff will set up the camp, and then direct you to your camping tents. After a short while, you will have lunch and then go for a siesta. After siesta, you can have a tea and resume your afternoon game drive within the park. Drive back to the camp after your afternoon game drive, enjoy afresh shower and then dinner will be served. The time for bed will be determined by the last guest.
Wake up early morning, have a quick shower and have breakfast then resume your game drive within the park. Come back to the camp. After a short while you will have lunch and then go for a siesta. After siesta, you can have a tea you leave the camp for 3 hours Mokoro (Canoe) Excursion in Khwai. Drive back to the camp after your afternoon Mokoro Excursion, enjoy a fresh shower and then dinner will be served.
Wake up early morning, have a quick shower and have breakfast then go for a short game drive within the park while the staff breaks down the camp before coming back to Maun where your safari will end.