2 Days from$600 p/p in USD
Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda,
Guided, Small Group
In this adventure, Ubuntu Voyages brings you to the Democratic Republic of Congo, a mysterious land full of wonders which make it the ultimate African adventure. Nyiragongo Volcano, located in Virunga National Park, is an active 3,470 m stratovolcano which has frequent eruptions and the world’s largest lava lake. Climbing Nyiragongo Volcano you’ll not only enjoy watching the active lava but you’ll enjoy a colorful flora when ascending and descending. So, don’t forget your camera!
Safari types:Mountain Safari, Trekking Safari
You will visit:Virunga National Park, Nyiragongo Volcano
Getting around:4x4 Vehicle
Start/end:Start/end in Goma
Price Per Person – USD
From USD 600 per person
- Accommodation in the shelters at summit of the volcano
- Cook & guide
- Round-trip ground transportation to/from the park
- Nyiragongo volcano permits
- Sleeping bag
- Round-trip Kigali taxi transfer (we can organize it for you on request)
- Accommodation before and after the tour
- Other meals and drinks
- Porter fees
- Tips (tipping guideline of USD 10 per person per day for the guide and crew, optional)
- Other expenses & personal items (souvenirs, travel insurance etc)
- Visa (after buying the permit, we will start your visa process. It can take maximum 14 days, minimum 7 days. You’ll pay USD 105 in visa fees at the border before entering the DRC. This is a special agreement between the park and the Ministry of Internal Affairs).
Day by Day Overview
Cross the border from Rwanda early in the morning, then drive to Goma to Virunga tourism office for check-in at 08:00 am. Once check-in is complete, be transported to the Kibati Ranger Post at 8:15 am, where treks to the summit of Nyiragongo volcano begin. On arrival at Kibati, guests will receive a briefing. Park rangers lead all treks and porters (unaffiliated with the park) are available for hire at Kibati Ranger Station. The ascent up the volcano starts around 10:00 am with most climbing groups reaching the summit by 5:00 pm. The time required to reach the summit depends on the average fitness of each group, but typically takes 4–6 hours. It is possible for fitter people to climb up and descend in one day, but the vast majority chooses to overnight in the basic accommodations available at the top (included in the permit fee) because the best time to view the lava lake is at night. Enjoy sunset at the summit of Nyiragongo and watching at night the world’s largest lava lake. Dinner and overnight at the summit of Nyiragongo Volcano in the shelter.
Trekkers are strongly advised to bring full rain and cold weather gear (moisture-wicking base layer, sweater or fleece, jacket, rain resistant pants, long underwear, warm socks, hat, and a 0°C/32° – rated sleeping bag), good walking shoes, sun cream, etc.
After a very early morning visit to the lava lake, have your breakfast around 7:00 am. Afterwards, start descending the volcano and arrive back at Kibati station. Average descent time is four hours. Drive back to Goma town and onwards across the border,returning to Rwanda’s Kigali International Airport or other destination.