9 Days from$1468 p/p in USD
An adventurous itinerary combining a fascinating stay in a local village with wonderful game viewing. Stay in a local home in Kirua village, visit waterfalls and learn about coffee production before enjoying safari in Lake Manyara National Parks and the highly wildlife-endowed Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
Safari types:Big Five Safari, Cultural Safari, Guided Safari, Walking Safari, Wildlife Safari
You will visit:Lake Manyara, Kilimanjaro, Ngorongoro Crater
Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
Start/end:Start/end in Kilimanjaro International Airport
RATES – PER PERSON USD
- From USD 2,370 pp for 1 person
- From USD 1,468 pp for 2 people
- From USD 1,365 pp for 3 people
- From USD 1,250 pp for 4 people
- From USD 1,171 pp for 5 people
- From USD 1,119 pp for 6 people
– Rates are for both the Village and the Safari sections
– Rates are inclusive of Value Added Tax
– For clients that would prefer to stay at Honey Badger Lodge instead of in the Village, an extra USD 210 per person is required to cover accommodation at Honey Badger Lodge and the additional transportation costs
- All national park fees
- Full board accommodation
- All excursions (apart from Honey Badger Lodge where there are optional activities and outings)
- Camping equipment where applicable
- Drinking water for the duration of the trip
- Private transportation in a 4×4 safari jeep with English-speaking driver guide
- All taxes and levies
- International and domestic flights
- Travel insurance and visa fees
- Items of personal nature
- Sleeping bags where applicable
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Milestone Safaris & Mountaineering‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Milestone Safaris & Mountaineering‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Following your arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport, you shall be collected by our friendly driver and transferred to Honey Badger Lodge where you will stay the night. Bed and breakfast accommodation is provided as complimentary on this night.
There are some fabulous hiking opportunities in the village as well as opportunities to share in the meals and daily activities of the local Chagga tribes people. On this trip you will be accompanied by a guide who will help to translate and to ease the cultural contrast.
After breakfast you will start a great hike through the village where you will learn about growing and processing coffee which has been grown in Kilimanjaro since the colonial settlers introduced it to the region over a century in the past. You will have the opportunity to meet with local coffee growers, learn about the history whilst experiencing the process involved in making your own cup of coffee, i.e. the picking, roasting and grinding of the beans. In the past few years, vanilla has also been introduced to the region so there is an opportunity to see and learn about this as well.
Lunch will be at a local village-member’s home and consist of traditional fare unique to the Chagga tribe. After this you will head back to the house to spend the rest of the afternoon relaxing.
On this day around mid-morning you will depart from the house with a packed lunch and hike through the village to a waterfall that is one of the most amazing locations on the south-eastern slopes of Kilimanjaro. After spending as much time exploring the falls and the river, you will make your way back for a traditional outdoor barbeque dinner and overnight stay at a small village family home and farm in Kirua Village.
After breakfast, you will begin your second excursion of this trip, this time by being driven out to West Kilimanjaro and the idyllic Maasai Lodge. This lodge offers an excellent balance between excellent accommodation and integration with the community. There shall be multiple opportunities to learn about the Maasai tribe and their unique way of life as a real-life example of modern day nomadic pastoralist livelihood. There is excellent birding in this area and it’s well worth a
short mini-safari in search of smaller and rarer game. Overnight at Maasai Lodge.
After a very early breakfast, you will depart West Kilimanjaro and begin your safari by driving to Lake Manyara National Park for a game drive. You will have a picnic lunch in the park and in the late afternoon start your game drive. This is also the best time to view animals in this park. When approaching the Lake from the east, the Rift Valley escarpment lies on the horizon forming an impressive back drop to the lake. In the tall trees of the ground water forest, monkeys leap from branch to branch, on the escarpment elephants stand in the shade. Animals frequently seen in Lake Manyara National Park include zebras, impalas, monkeys, giraffes, buffalos, hippos, warthogs among many others. Overnight in Karatu.
After breakfast, begin your day with a drive down to Ngorongoro Crater and enjoy a half-day game drive. This is undoubtedly one of the best places to see the rare black rhino in Africa, not to mention the prides of lion and the magnificent black-mane lions. There are lots of colorful flamingos and variety of water birds. In the crater you are also likely to see leopards, cheetahs, hyenas, many members of the antelope family and small mammals of all sorts. Afterwards we will drive you out of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and back to Honey Badger Lodge for a hearty meal and some well deserved rest.
Relax at the pool and await your airport drop-off. Until we meet again!