- 6 Days from$1900 p/p in USD
- DeparturesYear Round
On this Tanzania adventure cycle around the base of Africa’s tallest mountain and highest volcano. Ride through amazing scenery – solitary rainforests, fertile fields of crops and wild, dry, acacia rich savannah, home of the Maasai tribe. Spend a night in a Maasai cultural village and learn about their customs, songs and food. The tracks around the cloud shrouded, snow-capped roof of Africa are mainly dusty, sometimes rocky, with a few asphalt roads. The riding level is challenging, for those who like mountainous areas and longer cycling days. The total distance covered is 370 km.
- Safari types:Camping Safari, Cycle Safari, Guided Safari
- You will visit:Kilimanjaro National Park
- Wildlife:Birds, Antelope, Zebra, Giraffe
- Activities:Bicycle, Village Visit, Cultural Experience
- Getting around:Transfer Vehicle, Bicycle
- Start/end:Start/end in Kilimanjaro International Airport
Price Per Person – USD
1 pax From USD2,350 per person
2-3 pax From USD1,900 per person
4-5 pax From USD1,700 per person
6-10 pax From USD 1,600 per person
- 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Snacks and fruits
- Drinking water 3 litres or more per day
- Mountain bikes and helmets
- Airport transfers
- Accommodation before and after the trip
- Camping gear inclunding tents, mattress, chairs, tables
- Support vehicle(s)
- Tour guide(s), bike mechanic and cook
- Village fees, WMA fees (Wild Management Conservation Area), Park fees (Mt Kilimanjaro) and all entry fees
- Flights & visas
- Sleeping bag, climbing gear (can be rented on arrival in Tanzania)
- Tips for the crew (much appreciated)
- Personal items
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Kili Bike Adventures‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Kili Bike Adventures‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
You will be picked up at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) and transferred to Keys Hotel near Moshi town situated at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Today you will meet your guide who will brief you about your upcoming tour and together you will do the bike fitting. For those arriving on the morning or afternoon flight, you will have ample time to go for a quick test ride through the nearby coffee plantation and surrounding villages.
Overnight stay: Keys Hotel
Meals: Dinner included
We ride along the volcano through wide and deep river streams. We are in a very fertile area with countless small farms. Later we arrive in deeper plains, where the mountain slopes merge with the plain.
42 km, altitude gain 600 m Overnight stay: Tent or House of Westkili Lodge
Today we ride into the steppe and meet the Maasai for the first time. Probably the best known ethnic group in East Africa, the Maasai live in the vast plains in the south of Kenya and north of Tanzania. They remain faithful to their ancient traditions in their semi-nomadic way of life and striking clothes. With some luck we see giraffes or zebras in the afternoon.
Distances: 30 km, altitude gain 650 m
Overnight stay: Tent or Maasai Lodge
Through hilly Maasailand we drive to Kamwanga, a small village at the northern foot of Kilimanjaro. We enjoy a fantastic view of Amboseli National Park in Kenya and the northern slopes of Kilimanjaro. We camp at a schoolhouse, which is located just outside the village.
Distances: 45 km, altitude gain 1100 m
Overnight stay: Tent in Kawanga
We leave the Masai steppe and reach the vegetation-rich east side of the Kili. Fields and cedar forests are our temporary companions. On the Tanzanian/Kenyan border we are now heading slightly downhill. Only a few river valleys of the Kilimanjaro provide short, mostly steep gradients. Our camp is located on the beautiful Lake Chala, a crater lake with crystal clear water which invites a swim.
Distances: 88 km, altitude gain 600 m
Overnight stay: Tent at Lake Chala
Today we are tackling our last bike stage. First we drive about 15 km up until we arrive on a wide road. We follow this dirt road and enjoy the ride through the lush green vegetation. Beside us are many locals with simple bicycles on the road. After another 15 km we reach the village of Marangu.
Distances: 30 km, altitude gain 700 m
Overnight stay: Tent