9 Days from$1850 p/p in USD
Join a group trip to Malawi and learn about the challenges faced by developing countries through educating and engaging workshops. Choose an all encompassing overview or focus on one or two areas such as wildlife, environmental conservation or healthcare. Workshops provide students with practical examples and as much hands on experience as possible. A Malawian guide is with the group at every workshop and will become a key member of the team. Independent travellers are welcome to join a group. Our Sample Itinerary highlights some of the amazing experiences on offer – rhino tracking, river boat safari, staying in a village homestay, tea tasting, hiking on Zomba Plateau and kayaking on Lake Malawi.
Safari types:Cultural Safari, Educational Safari, Wildlife Safari
You will visit:Lake Malawi National Park, Liwonde National Park, Mulanje Mountain Forest Reserve
Activities:Game Drive, Walking Safari, Boat Cruise
Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
Start/end:Start/end in Blantyre
Activities outside the classrom
- Take a boat safari on The Shire River – watch herds of elephants come to the banks to drink
- Head out on a night safari spotting the park’s nocturnal wildlife
- Spend 1-3 nights under canvas listening to the sounds of the wildlife around you
- Rise early for a morning walk tracking rhinos
Hiking Mount Mulanje
- 1-3 day hike on Central Africa’s highest free standing mountain rising at over 2,000 m.
- Reach one of Mulanje’s 21 peaks. Ideal for a fundraising challenge!
- Overnight in one of the mountain huts, cooking around the open fire and chatting with your mountain guide and porters.
- Kayak to one of Lake Malawi’s islands for 1-3 nights Robinson Crusoe style
- Cook locally caught fish
- Learn how to canoe Malawi style
- Scuba dive with hundreds of species of Cyclid Fish
- Rest and relax- soak up the stunning views, chat with the fishermen and watch lakeside life drift by
RATE – PER PERSON USD
Cost per person from USD 1,850 (min. number 10 pax – GBP1,200 )
NB The Responsible Safari Company is committed to ensuring the benefits of tourism reach local communities and therefore has set up a Payment for Eco-System Services Scheme which contributes 1.5% of all bookings to a community environmental project in Malawi.
- 10 nights shared room accommodation
- all meals (excludes final night dinner)
- 10 days private vehicle & guide/driver
- all fuel, RSC project support and workshops
- pre & post travel links
- all activities where stated
- all taxes & bank fees
- return international flights
- travel insurance
- single room supplements
- bar drinks, tips & items of a personal nature
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Responsible Safari Company‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Responsible Safari Company‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Meet your RSC Guide and travel to Majete Wildlife Reserve. Head out on an evening safari drive searching for some of the parks more nocturnal animals.
Spend the morning with a trained safari guide. Take a river boat safari and experience the mighty Shire River – look out for herds of elephants coming down to drink. After lunch visit a local Malaria Project or take part in a sustainable business workshop on sugar production at a nearby estate.
Spend the morning visiting a home based care community programme in Blantyre and join the local youth group for a visit to the village primary school and assist with the lunchtime food programme. At dusk leave the city and drive 1 hr into the rolling tea estates of Thyolo.
Spend the morning walking through the estate and learn about fair trade tea and coffee production in Southern Malawi. After lunch take part in a tea tasting session before departing for Mount Mulanje.
Rise early to magnificent views of Mulanje Mountain. Meet your local mountain guides to learn more about the effects of deforestation on the mountain. Hike to natural waterfalls for lunch before heading onto Zomba to meet your village family homestay. Prepare dinner with your family and experience evening life in the village.
Rise early to the buzz of village life. Spend the morning with your family helping them with household chores, visiting local community run initiatives, before a traditional lunch and dancing – Malawian Village Style! (Option to spend the afternoon visiting The United Nations Millennium Village Project).
After a morning hike on Zomba Plateau. Depart and head to Liwonde National Park. An afternoon workshop on rhino conservation is followed by a game walk and safari drive tracking the rhinos and experience the flora and fauna found at Liwonde. A group dinner is served under the stars.
Transfer from Liwonde NP by river boat safari and on to Lake Malawi. Arrive for lunch with the local environmental group and take part in a conservation through arts workshop. Kayak out to Domwe Island for a night Robinson Crusoe Style!
After a night under canvas, kayak back to the mainland and visit Mua Mission – experience the rich history of Malawi Culture. Arrive back to Blantyre and visit the RSC office for a debrief and a celebratory dinner out with your guide.