8 Days from$3800 p/p in USD
Guided, Small Group
Budget, Luxury, Mid Range
Go in search of Africa’s diverse but endangered primate species on this Rwanda safari. Start by discovering Rwanda’s bustling capital, Kigali, where you will visit the Kigali Memorial Genocide and other highlights. Then head to stunning Volcanoes National Park for a trek to find some of the last remaining mountain gorillas and track golden monkeys followed by a relaxing stay on Lake Kivu. Then travel to Nyungwe Forest National Park to track chimpanzees and see other wildlife and birds which live in this pristine rain forest.
Safari types:Chimpanzee Safari, Cultural Safari, Gorilla Safari, Primate Safari
You will visit:Volcanoes National Park, Nyungwe Forest NP, Kigali, Kigali Genocide Memorial, Lake Kivu
Wildlife:Mountain Gorilla, Golden Monkey, Chimpanzee, Colobus Monkey, Elephant, Birds, Butterflies, Blue Monkey
Activities:Trekking, Nature Walk, Canopy Walk/Tower, Cultural Experience
Getting around:4x4 Safari Vehicle, 4x4 Vehicle
Start/end:Start/end in Kigali
- Kigali Memorial Genocide
- Visit the Kigali Convention Center, National Museum, Presidential Palace
- Volcanoes National Park
- Gorilla Trekking Safari
- Iby’iwacu Cultural Tour
- Golden Monkey Tracking
- Lake Kivu
- Nyungwe Forest National Park
- Canopy Walk
Price Per Person – USD
From USD 3,800 per person
- Accommodation and meal plan as per the itinerary
- Drinking water while in the vehicle
- Airport transfers on first and last day
- Transport in a 4×4 safari vehicle
- Services of an English speaking driver guide
- Ground transportation and fuel
- Gorilla permit at USD 1,500 per person per trek
- Golden monkey tracking
- Ibyiwacu Cultural Village Tour
- Chimpanzee tracking
- Canopy walk
- All park entrance fees
- International airfares
- Rwanda visa (USD50 which can be paid on arrival at the airport)
- Personal items such as drinks, laundry, tips
- Personal travel insurance
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Muafrika Adventures‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Muafrika Adventures‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Upon arrival at Kigali international Airport, you will be met by our fuide who will transfer you to your hotel for check in. Later you will enjoy dinner and overnight at your chosen accommodation.
- Luxury Accommodation: Kigali Serena Hotel / Kigali Marriot Hote
- Midrange Accommodation: Frame Tree Village / Gorilla Golf Hotel
- Budget Accommodation: Five to Five Hotel
- Meal Plan: BB
After your breakfast, enjoy a city tour of Kigali to various sites including the Kigali Memorial Genocide Centre, which exhibits Rwanda’s history of the genocide; here you can watch videos, see photographs, read some written journals, see a number of artifacts, read personal testimonies as well as an exhibition shows section. Also visit the Kigali Convention Center, National Museum, Presidential Ppalace, among others.
After lunch head north to the home of the endangered mountain gorillas – Parc Nationale Des Volcanoes (PNV). It is a 2-3 hour or 106 km drive from Kigali to Musanze Province through the undulating and beautiful terraced hills, which show a clear picture of the general landscape and altitude of Rwanda. Arrive at your lodge in Ruhengeri for an evening to relax, enjoy dinner and overnight at your chose accommodation.
- Super Luxury: Sabinyo Silverback Lodge
- Luxury Accommodation: Mountain Gorilla View Lodge / 5 Volcanoes Lodge
- Midrange Accommodation: Davince Lodge / Lebambou Lodge
- Budget Accommodation: Muhabura Hotel / Lapalme Hotel
- Meal Plan: FB
Early morning breakfast will be served at the lodge after which you will transfer to the Kinigi briefing area where you will be briefed by park officials about the day’s activities and assigned a group that you will trek to find the gorillas with. Gorilla tracking lasts anywhere between 2-8 hours depending on the location of the gorillas on that particular day. After finding the gorillas you will stay in close proximity with them for an hour after which you will return to your lodge for lunch.
In the afternoon visit the Iby’iwacu cultural village / gorilla guardians’ village to learn more about the Rwandan culture and the people who have co-existed with the gorillas for centuries as well as for local musical performances by a musical cultural troupe. Later return to your lodge for dinner and overnight stay as above.
- Meal Plan: FB
Early morning breakfast will be served at the lodge after which you will set off for the Kinigi visitor center for a briefing. With the help of the park rangers you will head to the park’s open fields to start tracking the golden monkeys, which takes between 1-2 hours. Afterwards transfer to Lake Kivu on an 80 km drive, checking in on arrival and enjoying an afternoon to relax along Lake Kivu shoreline with its beautiful white sand resorts.
You could also choose to take a boat ride around the Virgin Islands such as Napoleon’s Hat Island where you can ascend to the peak of the hat to view the thousands of Angola bats in the blue skies. If time allows you could also choose to visit Butare’s Intellectual Center of Rwanda, to visit the National University plus the Institute of Scientific Research as well as the National Museum. Later return to the lodge to enjoy dinner and overnight at your chosen accommodation.
- Luxury Accommodation: Lake Kivu Serena Resort
- Midrange Accommodation: Paradise Malahide
- Budget Accommodation: View Palm Resort
- Meal Plan: FB
An early breakfast, depart for Nyungwe Forest National Park on a 50 km journey, arriving in time for lunch at the lodge and then a relaxing afternoon. Nyungwe Forest is one of the greatly safeguarded montane rainforest in Africa, extending over an expanse of 970 sq km with breathtaking scenery overlooking the forest and Lake Kivu and to the north enjoy views of volcanoes Parc National des Virunga. The guided tours when tracking large troops of black & white Angolan colobus monkeys (which may have as many as 400 members in every troop) or even chimpanzees with about 13 species are great experiences in this park. There are roughly 270 species of trees, more than 70 species of mammals, 38 reptile species, 275 species of birds plus a profusion of orchids as well as butterflies. Later enjoy dinner and overnight at your chosen accommodation.
- Luxury Accommodation: Nyungwe Forest Lodge / One & Only Nyungwe Hotel
- Midrange Accommodation: Top View Hotel
- Budget Accommodation: Gisakura Guest House
- Meal Plan: FB
Early morning breakfast will be served at the lodge after which you will head to the park headquarters for a briefing at 8:00 am in preparation for your chimpanzee tracking experience. Nyungwe Forest is by far the largest montane rain forest in East and Central Africa, where you may well encounter other animals such as the elephants, black & white colobus monkeys, blue monkeys and many bird species. After your morning chimpanzee tracking you will return to the lodge, relax and have lunch. In the afternoon you will step out for a canopy walk in the park. Dinner and overnight stay at the lodge as above.
- Meal Plan: FB
After breakfast, drive back to Kigali, a 5-hour journey (218 km). On arrival in Kigali you’ll be transferred to the airport for your flight back home.