- 9 Days from$1850 p/p in USD
- DeparturesJan, Feb, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
Guided, Large Group, Small Group
Let our dream team achieve your goal of standing on the ‘Roof of Africa’. Reaching the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro, Uhuru Peak, is one of the most rewarding experiences. Our Machame Route is excellent for acclimatization, safety and success and by choosing seven days on the mountain you give yourself the best chance for success. You will be in the company of our guides who have climbed Kilimanjaro over 100 times and have vast knowledge and experience on the mountain.
- Safari types:Guided, Mountain Safari, Trekking Safari
- You will visit:Kilimanjaro National Park
- Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
- Start/end:Start/end in Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Minimum age:8
Price Per Person – USD
From USD 1,850 per person
- Pre- and post-trek (2 nights total) hotel stay at Kilimanjaro Wonders Hotel (B&B)
- English speaking lead guide, assistant guide(s), cook, porters
- Three meals per day & afternoon snack (dietary requirements on request)
- Drinking water while trekking & at camp, coffee and tea during the trek
- Sleeping tent, 3-person size for 2 people, sleeping mat (2-inch foam), pillow
- Dining tent, table, chairs, wash basins with hot water morning & evening
- Private portable toilet with tissues
- Pulse oximeter, altitude sickness checklists, first aid kit, emergency oxygen
- Kilimanjaro National Park fees, camping/hut, rescue, conservation & taxes
- Pre-trek briefing with your guide
- Roundtrip airport transfer between Kilimanjaro Airport (JRO) & Moshi
- Roundtrip transfer between Moshi & the park gate
- Flights & visas
- Personal trekking gear such as sleeping bag and clothing
- Beverages at hotels (water, soda and alcohol)
- Additional accommodation or meals resulting from early descent
- Travel insurance
- Expenses of a personal nature
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Shiri Adventures and Safaris‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Shiri Adventures and Safaris‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), where you will meet with our Shiri Adventures representative, and transfer to your hotel which is included in the rate. The hotel will provide all the essentials for a comfortable stay: cosy rooms, hot water, polite staff, a swimming pool and internet access. In the evening there will be a briefing with your Kilimanjaro guides, who will also make sure you are ready to begin the climb.
The guides and a mountain support crew will arrive at the hotel in the morning in order to meet you and hold a quick briefing, after which you will travel by vehicle to Kilimanjaro National Park’s entrance: Machame Gate (1,800 m). After the quick formality of acquiring climbing permits and registering with the search and rescue service, the group will start trekking up to Machame Camp (3,010 m). The trekking route includes passage through the rainforest (where tropical showers are highly probable), so we recommend you take not only spare clothes, but also your raincoats
After breakfast you will start trekking up to the second high altitude camp, Shira Camp (3,845 m). On this day you will emerge from the rainforest and for the first time be able to see stunning views of the Shira Plateau laid out in front of you. Physically speaking, the trekking is not very difficult, but you may feel the changes in altitude, so pay attention to your body and remember that choosing the proper pace is extremely important for good trekking. When you reach the camp, you will have lunch and some rest, after which the group will go on an acclimatization hike towards Lava Tower Camp with a 300-meter gain in altitude. Back down at Shira Camp you will be served a hot dinner
After breakfast you will leave Shira Camp (3,845 m) and start your way to the key point of the route: Lava Tower (4,630 m). This section of the route has a lot of ascents and descents that end in a camp at over 4,600 meters. It might be difficult, and you may feel some discomfort, but in order to successfully acclimate to the altitude you have to spend at least 1–2 hours here, so this is where lunch will be taken. Then you will descend to Barranco Camp (3,960 m). Here you can see the famous Barranco Wall, impressive in both its massive size and steepness! Next day you will be climbing it, but don’t worry: it features a very simple hiking trail.
On this day it is best to make an early start to avoid crowding on the way up Barranco Wall. Despite the Wall’s seemingly daunting height and steepness the actual climb is rather merciful at a mere hour or so. The top provides a great photo opportunity with Kibo Peak as the backdrop. The next part of the day is rife with ups and downs where your guides will choose the best place for individual climbers. A lunch break at Karanga Camp shall be followed by an acclimatization climb towards Barafu with its highest point being 4,270 m. The group then drops back to Karanga Camp for the overnight.
After breakfast you begin your way to Barafu Summit Camp (4,640 m). Our team will set up a camp for you ahead of time, including tents and sleeping bags, so you can relax. After regaining strength, you have to complete an acclimatization climb towards the intermediate Kosovo Summit Camp with its highest point being 4,800 m and then back to Barafu Camp, where you will be served a hot dinner. It is better to spend the remainder of the day resting and sleeping before night summiting.
Departure from Barafu Camp (4,640 m) at night and the start of summiting Kilimanjaro: Uhuru Peak (5,895 m). Technically the climb is relatively simple; however, the most challenging part is the high altitude. Each pair of climbers will get a personal guide for the entire ascent to monitor your physical and mental conditions. After your successful ascent to Uhuru Peak, you can descend to the nearest glacier if desired. Then you will return to Barafu Camp and after a 2-hour rest continue your descent to Millennium Camp (3,820 m).
The camp is situated in a tropical rainforest. When you wake up, you will feel relief from the reduction of the height and the satisfaction of reaching the summit. After a warm breakfast, you will head for the park’s exit: Mweka Gate (1,640 m). After your descent the whole group will gather to congratulate you, followed by offering you a chance to share your opinions on the climb in the guestbook. Lastly, we will present you with your commemorative certificates in our office and provide you a transfer back to the hotel
Wake up and have breakfast with the team. You have options today: you can to go for a massage at the hotel, sit by the pool, play golf or visit the local market before your transfer back to Kilimanjaro International for your flight home. If you have chosen one of our quality onward safaris you will start the journey today.