- 7 Days from$1900 p/p in USD
- DeparturesJan, Feb, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
Guided, Large Group, Small Group
Mount Kilimanjaro, with its three volcanic cones, Kibo, Mawenzi and Shira, is a dormant volcano in Tanzania. The highest mountain in Africa, rises approximately 4,900 meters (16,100 ft) from its base to 5,895 meters (19,341 ft) above sea level. The Lemosho route is considered the most scenic trail on Kilimanjaro, granting panoramic vistas on various sides of the mountain. As one of the newer routes, Lemosho is a superb choice for your climb. It’s our preferred route due to its ideal balance of low crowds, beautiful scenery and high summit success rate.
- Safari types:Mountain Safari, Trekking Safari
- You will visit:Kilimanjaro National Park
- Wildlife:Birds, Colobus Monkey
- Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
- Start/end:Start/end in Moshi
- Minimum age:14
Price Per Person – USD
From USD 1,900 per person
- Pick up and drop off to the airport
- 2 nights hotel in Moshi (before & after climb)
- Orientation meeting in Moshi and gear check as well
- 4-season mountain tents, double occupancy, sleeping pad
- Mess tent, tables, chairs & trekking poles
- All meals while on the climb, evening tea with popcorn or peanuts, drinking water
- Medically qualified guides & 3-4 porters per climber
- Park permits, camping/hut fees & rescue fees
- Twice a day medical health check up & oxygen cylinder
- Flights & visas
- Lunch, dinner and drinks at hotel
- Tip to your guides, porters and cook (recommended is $20 head guide per day, $15 per assistant guide per day, $15 per cook per day & $10 per porter per day – can be split between each client in the climb)
- Laundry (available at the hotel)
- Items of a personal nature
- Personal hiking/trekking gear (some gear available for rent)
- Personal travel insurance & health requirements
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Open Plains Adventures‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Open Plains Adventures‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
We depart Moshi for Londorossi Gate, which takes about 4 hours, where you will complete entry formalities. Then drive to the Lemosho trailhead where on arrival we begin hiking through undisturbed forest which winds to the first camp site.
We continue on the trail leading out of the rain forest and into a savannah of tall grasses, heather and volcanic rock draped with lichen beards. As we ascend through the lush rolling hills and cross several streams, we reach the Shira Ridge before dropping gently down to Shira 1 Camp. Here we catch our first glimpse of Kibo across the plateau.
- Elevation: 9,498 ft to 11,500 ft
- Distance: 8 km/ 5miles
- Hiking Time: 5-6 hours
- Habitat: Health
We explore the Shira Plateau for a full day. It is a gentle walk east on moorland meadow towards Shira 2 Camp. Then we divert from the main trail to Moir Hut, a little used site on the base of Lent Hills. A variety of walks are available on Lent Hills making this an excellent acclimatization opportunity. Shira Plateau is one of the highest plateaus on earth.
- Elevation: 11,500 ft to 13,800 ft
- Distance: 11 km/ 7 miles
- Hiking Time: 5-7 hours
- Habitat: Heath
We begin the day climbing up a ridge and then head southeast towards the Lava Tower – a 300 ft tall volcanic rock formation. We descend down to Barranco Camp through the strange but beautiful Senecio Forest to an altitude of 13,000 ft. Although you begin and end the day at the same elevation, the time spent at higher altitude is very beneficial for acclimatization.
- Elevation: 13,800 ft to 15200ft down to 13000ft
- Distance: 7 km/4 miles
- Hiking Time: 4-5 hours
- Habitat: Alpine Desert
After breakfast, we leave Barranco and continue on a steep ridge passing the Barranco Wall to the Karanga Valley campsite. Then we leave Karanga and hit the junction which connects with the Mweka Trail. We continue up to the Barafu Hut. At this point, you have completed the South Circuit, which offers views of the summit from many different angles. Here we make camp, rest, enjoy dinner, and prepare for the summit day. The two peaks of Mawenzi and Kibo are to be seen from this position.
- Elevation: 13,000ft to 15,000ft
- Distance: 9km
- Hiking Time: 8-10 hours
- Habitat: Alpine Desert
Very early in the morning (around midnight), we begin our push to the summit. This is the most mentally and physically challenging portion of the trek. The wind and cold at this elevation and time of day can be extreme. We ascend in the darkness for several hours while taking frequent, but short, breaks. Near Stella Point (18,900 ft), you will be rewarded with the most magnificent sunrise you are ever likely to see coming over Mawenzi Peak. Finally, we arrive at Uhuru Peak- the highest point on Mount Kilimanjaro and the continent of Africa.
From the summit, we now make our descent continuing straight down to the Mweka Hut camp site, stopping at Barafu for lunch. The trail is very rocky and can be quite hard on the knees; trekking poles are helpful. Mweka Camp is situated in the upper forest and mist or rain can be expected in the late afternoon. Later in the evening, we enjoy our last dinner on the mountain and a well-earned sleep.
- Barafu Camp to Uhuru Peak descent to Mweka Camp
- Elevation: 15,331 ft to 19,341 ft descent to 10065ft
- Distance: 18 km/10 miles
- Hiking Time: 13-14 hours
- Habitat: Arctic
On our last day, we continue the descent to Mweka Gate and collect the summit certificates. At lower elevations, it can be wet and muddy. From the gate, we continue another hour to Mweka Village. A vehicle will meet us at Mweka Village to drive us back to the hotel in Moshi.
- Elevation: 10,065 ft to 5,380 ft
- Distance: 10 km/6 miles
- Hiking Time: 3-4 hours
- Habitat: Rain Forest