6 Days from$1810 p/p in USD
DeparturesOct, Nov, Dec
Guided, Small Group
Luxury, Mid Range
They’re coming in their millions… Are you ready? Between October and December each year, about 10 million straw-coloured fruit bats descend into a tiny patch of evergreen swamp forest inside Kasanka National Park, Northern Zambia. This natural phenomenon, unique only to Kasanka, lends itself to some truly astonishing birdlife sightings set against a backdrop of incredible scenic surrounds and dramatic skies. The Bat Migration is one of the most jaw-dropping spectacles of nature and an absolute must do experience! While the sheer volume of bats is special, it is the atmosphere surrounding this phenomenon that gets things worked up – dramatic skies as the early summer rains come closer, large raptors like crowned and martial eagles swooping through the bats and taking them on the wing and of course, usual Kasanka specials like the rare sitatunga grazing out in the misty dambos in the morning. It is a mecca for a true safari enthusiast.
Safari types:Birding Safari, Guided Safari, Tailormade Safari, Wildlife Safari
You will visit:Kasanka National Park
Wildlife:Birds, Hippo, Elephant, Buffalo, Sable, Bats, Sitatunga
Activities:Game Drive, Walking Safari, Canoe, Nature Walk, Birding
Getting around:4x4 Safari Vehicle, Transfer Vehicle
Start/end:Start/end in Lusaka
- Fantastic views from the bat hides
- 3 nights fully inclusive accommodation at Wasa Lodge in Kasanka National Park
- Witness the bat migration and other amazing activities such as Wasa Walk, Game Drive, Sunrise, Sitatungas and Swamps
We suggest offering the Safari Trip with road transfers between Lusaka and Kasanka National Park, but air transfers on charter flights are also available at additional cost. The safari can also be customised to combine with other safari areas such Kafue National Park, Lower Zambezi National Park, South Luangwa National Park and the mighty Victoria Falls.
Price Per Person – USD
From USD 1,810 per person
- Two nights bed & breakfast accommodation at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower by Marriot
- Return private road transfers from Lusaka to Kasanka National Park
- Three nights fully inclusive stay at Wasa Lodge (includes all accommodation, all meals, teas and coffees, selected drinks, laundry and park fees and activities within the park)
- International flights & visa fees
- Return air transfers Lusaka-Kasanka (can be arranged at additional cost)
- Extra activities & gratuities
- Items or services of a personal nature
- Personal travel & medical insurance
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Absolute Zambia Safaris‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Absolute Zambia Safaris‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
When you arrive at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport our driver will welcome and then transfer you to Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower by Marriot where you will overnight before your trip to Kasanka National Park.
Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower
A modern hotel located in the heart of Lusaka within Arcades Shopping and Entertainment Complex. Guests visiting this hotel have the benefit of being closely situated to the Mulungushi Conference Centre as well as having direct access to shops and restaurants. The hotel caters for both corporate and leisure guests’ alike being a mere 25 minutes from Kenneth Kaunda International Airport. Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower restaurant, The Steakhouse Restaurant and Rooftop Bar, Cloud 9 are ideal to relax after a day of exploring Lusaka. Enjoy the most comfortable hotel accommodation in Lusaka with the various guest room configurations – our 137 guest rooms can be split between twin rooms and king size rooms.
Today you will have early breakfast and depart to Kasanka National Park, our driver will be set and ready for this adventure, it’s about 8 hours from Lusaka heading on a northern route covering about 520 km. You will arrive at Wasa Lodge in Kasanka National Park in the late afternoon. Check in to Wasa Camp where you will spend the next three days amongst the glory of the bat migration.
Wasa Lodge, Kasanka National Park
‘A Piece of Peace’. Your stay at Wasa Lodge will allow you to experience the heart of Kasanka National Park. The beautiful chalets overlooking the lake, the welcoming staff and tranquil surrounds will put you at ease allowing you to enjoy the safari of a lifetime.
You will spend three nights in a chalet at Wasa Lodge overlooking Lake Wasa, which is the prime location for the bat migration. From Wasa, you will be able to access the private hides for the bats, the best spots to photograph the sitatunga and take day trips out into the Luwombwa region for other bird specials like Pel’s fishing owl, Bohm’s bee-eater, Ross’s turaco – all pretty special species and near certainties at Kasanka.
Morning breakfast then you will check out of the lodge then you depart for yet another adventure back to Lusaka. Arrive late afternoon and check-in at Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower by Marriot for an overnight stay.
Breakfast in the morning, then later you will check out of the hotel and our driver will take you to Kenneth Kaunda International Airport in time for your onward flight or back home.