6 Days from$1750 p/p in USD
Camping, Mid Range
Climbing Kilimanjaro on the Machame Route in six days is for those with lots of energy as it means you skip some camps on the way (other options are seven or eight days). We offer special and affordable prices for people who want to attempt Mt Kilimanjaro in six days on this route. Our pole pole pace of one step at a time always assures us a summit success.
Safari types:Camping Safari, Mountain Safari, Trekking Safari
You will visit:Kilimanjaro National Park
Wildlife:Birds, Colobus Monkey
Getting around:Overland Truck
Start/end:Start/end in Moshi, Kilimanjaro
Price Per Person -USD
From USD 1,750 per person
- Return transfers Kilimanjaro airport/Moshi
- Hotel the night before and the night after the climb, with breakfast included
- Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food all 3 meals a day
- Qualified mountain guide, assistant guides, porters and cook
- All Kilimanjaro National Park gate fees, camping fees and climbing permits
- Camping equipment (tents, camp chairs, tables & sleeping mattress)
- Fresh water for drinking & hot water for a wash daily
- All park fees and taxes
- Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees (Kilimanjaro Rescue Team)
- Emergency oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summit aid)
- Basic first aid kit
- Flights & visas
- Meals & drinks not specified and snacks
- Personal hiking/trekking gear (you may opt to rent gear from equipment stores in Moshi)
- Optional but highly recommended portable toilet
- Personal medicine and water purifying tablets
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel and medical insurance
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Pinnacle Adventures and Safaris‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Pinnacle Adventures and Safaris‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
After an early breakfast at your lodge, you will depart Moshi (900 m) and drive to Machame Gate. You will drive to the gate via some local banana, coffee, cassava, potatoes farms and others. After registration and other park formalities, you will start your ascent and immediately you will reach the rain forest. There will be a possibility of rain as far as the rain forest characteristic is concerned, you will reach your first camp late afternoon.
Porters are fast and by the time you reach the camp they will already be there and set up is done including tents, mess tent etc. When reaching the camp almost every day you will have warm water for washing and boiled water for drinking, coffee or tea with bites before dinner and retire to your tent after dinner. At this time the temperature will have already dropped to a freezing point.
- Hiking time: 6 to 7 hours
- Distance: About 18 km
- Vegetation type: Montana Forest
- Overnight at Machame Camp: All meals included
Wake up early and after breakfast, hike for one hour or more past the forest then another two hours on a gentle gradient through moorland habitat. Stop for lunch and some rest before proceeding up to the rocky ridge and the Shira plateau. The western breach with its shinning glaciers will be appear in an easterly direction. You’re now on the west side of Kibo and you will soon reach the Shira camp at (3840 m). Same procedures as the previous day will apply soon after reaching the camp. This camp is more open and it can be colder than the first camp.
- Hiking time: 5 to 6 hours
- Distance: About 9 km
- Vegetation type: Moorland
- Overnight at Shira Camp (3,840 m): All meals included
After breakfast you will start your third day on Kilimanjaro. You will turn to the east and trek into semi-desert and rocky area which surrounds Lava Tower which will take you five hours walk to reach (4630 m). This will probably be the toughest day so far; it is at this point where some climbers at the first time feel some sign of breathlessness, mild headache and irritability. You will have lunch and a little rest before going down almost (680 m) to Barranco camp after reaching (4630 m). This is a climbing technique of climbing highand sleep low (best acclimatization).
Decent from Laver Tower to Barranco camp takes almost two hours and it offers a great chance of taking some good photos of western breach as well as the Breach Wall. The great sunset can be viewed here while waiting for dinner as this camp stands in a valley just bellow Breach and The Great Barranco Wall.
- Hiking time: 7 hours
- Distance: Approx. 15 km
- Vegetation type: Semi-desert
- Overnight at Barranco Camp (3,950 m): All meals included
After the night at the Great Barranco camp, a very imposing sight., your trekking on Machame Route starts by hiking up to what you might see to be an obstacle but at the end usually turns to be an easier hike than you expected. Trekking up just bellow Heim Glacier you will see how beautiful Kilimanjaro is. The route now will take you down through Karanga Valley over prevailing ridges and valleys and the adjoining Mweka route, the most preferable descending route from the summit. Take the left side and after an hour or more you will reach Barafu Hut.
There will be no water at Barafu, the water will be carried from Karanga which is the last water point on the route. Barafu means ice in Swahili, spending a night at this undesirable place totally unprotected against windstorms, tents are erected on a dangerous ridge which is narrow and stony. Get to know better the terrain of this place before dark in order to avoid accidents. Summit attempt will be tonight, you only have (1345 m) to reach Uhuru peak, get prepared with thermal clothing, ski stick, head lump and camera with extra batteries for your final ascent to the summit. Carry your water in a thermal flask to avoid freezing, go to bed as early as possible (19:00 hrs), try to get much rest and a night of good sleep before your 5th day of trekking on the Machame route: the summit day.
- Hiking time: 6 to 7 hours
- Distance: About 12 to 13 km
- Vegetation Type: Alpine desert
- Overnight at Barafu Camp (4,550 m): All meals included
This is the summit day of your trek. Your guide will wake you up at 23:30 hrs for tea and biscuit then set out for your attempt to the summit. You will hike towards the northwest and trek along heavy scree to approach Stella Point at the crater rim. The route to Stella Point, which takes about 6 hours, is challenging for many climbers mentally and physically. Stella Point stands at 5685 m and here you will stop for some rest while waiting for the most amazing sunrise you have ever seen (weather permitting). It’s a 2-hour walk from Stella Point to Uhuru Peak and you will likely experience snow all around. Weather conditions will determine the time to be spent at the summit.
Don’t spend much time here as it will be very difficult to start again due to cold and tiredness. It’s a great accomplishment and a lifetime experience to be remembered and cherished. Afterwards walk down to Barafu camp, trekking of about 3 hrs. Have a short rest at the camp to gather some strength, collect all your stuff before start descending to Mweka camp. The way down will take you through three zones, rocky and scree path, moorland and the forest zone. Mweka camp is in the upper forest therefore mist or rain can be expected any time in the afternoon. Getting to the camp water to wash, coffee/tea will be provided, rest while waiting for dinner.
- Hiking time: 8 hrs to Uhuru Peak, 7 to 8 hrs down to Mweka Camp
- Distance: About 7 km up & 23 km down
- Vegetation type: Stone scree & ice capped summit
- Overnight at Mweka Camp (3100 m). All meals included
After a well–deserved breakfast, the crew will have big celebration singing and dancing, this will be a good time to tip them after a well-done job: porters, chef, assistant guide and lastly the head guide. After the celebration, it will take you 3 hrs to reach Mweka gate. Kilimanjaro National Park Authority will present two types of certificates to climbers, a green certificate for whoever reached Stella Point (5685 m) and a gold certificate for Uhuru Peak (5895 m). You will then be required to sign you name that will appear in your certificate of completion. After receiving your certificate you will drive back to Moshi, you will enjoy a hot lunch on the way before reaching your lodge for a shower and more celebration.
- Hiking time: 3 hours
- Distance: About 15 km
- Vegetation type: Forest