Days from$1295 p/p in USD
Guided, Large Group, Small Group
Climb Tanzania’s beautiful Mount Kilimanjaro via the Marangu route, passing through a wide variety of landscape including lush forest, which is home to rich bird life and monkeys, grassy moorland and volcanic screed. Sunrises and sunsets are often stunning and the views are breathtaking.
Safari types:Mountain Safari, Trekking Safari
You will visit:Kilimanjaro National Park
Wildlife:Birds, Blue Monkey
Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
Start/end:Start/end in Arusha or Moshi
Price Per Person – USD
- 1 person from USD 1,540 per person sharing
- 2 people from USD 1,295 per person sharing
- 3 people from USD 1,270 per person sharing
- 4 people from USD 1,213 per person sharing
- 5 people from USD 1,207 per person sharing
- 6 people from USD 1,203 per person sharing
- 7 -18 people from USD 1,189 per person sharing
- Return transport to/from the airport & to/from the mountain gates
- Professional, experienced mountain guide & cooks
- Camping gear (sleeping tents, dining tents, tables, chairs, and cooking gear)
- Three healthy and fresh meals a day
- Porters for your luggage, food, water, camping equipment
- Food, shelter & fair wages for the porters, cooks, guides
- Park fees (entry fee camping/hut fees & rescue fees crew fees)
- 18% VAT on tour fees & services
- Radio and cell phone communication that help us to stay in contact within &outside the group therefore we can respond almost instantaneously to whatever issue that may arise
- We provide our guides with professional first aids kits and pulse taximeters for daily updates of acclimatization progress
- Assistance with climbing permit procedure
- Tracking of the expedition is available online on our Instagram, Whats Ap & Facebook accounts
- Flights & visas
- Personal porters
- Tips to mountain crew
- Mountain trekking gear e.g. walking poles (available for hire upon request)
- Sleeping bag (available for hire upon request)
- A portable flush toilet with a toilet tent is extra (USD200 per toilet + toilet tent)
- Extra expenses (e.g. additional food or drinks, satellite phone calls, transference fees, other services not specified as included)
- Any other alterations to our itineraries
- Emergency oxygen
- Medical & travel insurance
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Utmost Expeditions‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Utmost Expeditions‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
On this day we begin our 5-day Marangu route climb. You’ll take a short drive from Arusha or Moshi town to the Kilimanjaro Park Gate (1,830 m), which lies at the edge of Marangu, an attractive village with many small coffee and banana plantations. After we have completed the entrance formalities, we climb up through beautiful forest to reach the clearing containing Mandara Hut (2,700 m). The volcanic remains of Maundi Crater are nearby and make a good afternoon excursion. An alternative is to rest and enjoy the beautiful forest. While resting in your hut there is a rich bird life as well as monkeys which are often seen. 3-5 hours walking to Mandara Hut.
On our second day of climbing, the first part of the walk is a steep ascent through forest, but the path soon opens out into grassy moorland and in clear weather there are good views of Kibo and Mawenzi peaks. We climb steadily through the moorland zone, containing giant heather and occasional stands of groundsel, to eventually reach Horombo Hut (3,720 m). Sunrises and sunsets here are often very stunning, the site is close to the glaciated dome of Kibo, and there is a real sense of being above the clouds.
On this day you will climb very gradually towards the lunar desert of the Saddle between Mawenzi and Kibo. The terrain changes to screed and there is a palpable sense of high altitude wilderness. We usually reach Kibo Hut (4,700 m.) at the bottom of the crater wall by midday and the afternoon is free (to contemplate the summit ascent!!) The remainder of the day is spent resting and eating in preparation for the final climb before a very early night.
What a wonderful day – reaching the Kilimanjaro summit! You’ll start your ascent by torchlight at about 1 am so that we can be up at Gillman’s Point by sunrise. The initial climb is steep over loose volcanic screed, but there are some well-graded zigzag and a slow but steady pace will have us up to Gillman’s (5,685 m) in about five or six hours. We will rest there and spend some time taking in the sunrise. Those who are still feeling strong can make the three hour round trip from here along the crater rim to Uhuru Peak (5,896 m), passing close to the spectacular glaciers that still occupy most of the summit area. The descent is surprisingly fast and we return to Horombo Hut for the night.
This day marks the end of your 5-day Marangu route climb. After breakfast, we will start with a pleasant moorland walk to Mandara and then a lovely forest walk to the national park gates. The greenness and lushness of the forest is quite a stunning contrast to the summit day, and it really makes you realize how varied the scenery of Mount Kilimanjaro is. Return to Arusha or Moshi.