- 4 Days from$1890 p/p in USD
- DeparturesYear Round
Guided, Small Group
Budget, Luxury, Mid Range
In Uganda’s Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, where golden monkeys and endangered mountain gorillas co-exist, enjoy the very best experience of tracking these remarkable primates and spend an hour watching them when you find them. Also look out for other forest monkeys and many bird species.
- Safari types:Gorilla Safari, Guided Safari, Primate Safari
- Activities:Trekking, Nature Walk
- Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
- Start/end:Start in Entebbe or Kampala, end in Entebbe or Kampala
- Day 1: Transfer to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- Day 2: Gorilla Trekking and Nature walk
- Day 3: Golden Monkey Experience
- Day 4: Departure
Things to Consider
- Children below age of 15 are not allowed to trek gorillas
- Book your gorilla permits in advance at least two months before the safari
- Anyone with any communicable diseases is not allowed to trek
RATES – PER PERSON USD
Luxury: USD 2,487 per person, based on two people sharing
Mid-range: USD 2,190 per person, based on two people sharing
Budget: USD 1,890 per person, based on two people sharing
- Gorilla permit
- Golden monkey permit
- Services of English speaking guide
- Meals full board
- Mineral water
- Government taxes
- All park entry fees
- All other activities as per itinerary
- Airport transfers
- International Flights
- Visa fee
- Other personal expenses (alcohol, telephone etc.)
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Akita Wild Tours and Travel - Safari Deal‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Akita Wild Tours and Travel - Safari Deal‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Our company representative will meet you from the hotel after breakfast. Embark on the 12-13 hour journey to Mgahinga National Park with the first stopover at the Uganda equator where you will have some refreshments and take some memorable photos of you at the equator. Proceed with the journey, stopping en route at Mbarara for lunch at the Igongo Cultural Centre where you enjoy a variety of food including local African food. After lunch, continue with the journey to Mgahinga with beautiful views of long horned Ankole cattle, tea plantations, banana plantations, evergreen vegetation, rolling hills, local homesteads and local people doing their daily work. Upon arrival at park, check-in at your selected lodge, have some refreshment as you wait for dinner and overnight stay.
Mgahinga Gorilla National Park is located in south western Uganda in the district of Kisoro. Established in 1991, Mgahinga National Park sits on an area of 33.9 km2 and is commonly known for its mountain gorilla and golden monkey safari experience. As the golden monkeys co-exist with the mountain gorillas, the saying goes “gold meets with silver”. Mgahinga borders the Democratic Republic of Congo and Volcanoes National Park of Rwanda where mountain gorillas also live.
Accommodation options; Gahinga Safari Lodge [luxury], Travellers Hotel [mid-range], Kisoro Travellers Rest Inn [budget]
Rise at 6:30 am, enjoy breakfast and pack your trekking gear, enough drinking water and snacks/food. Your safari guide will collect you from the lodge and drive you to park headquarters where you will be briefed on the dos and don’ts of endangered mountain gorilla trekking. You will meet up with other travellers and the game rangers will divide you into groups of 8 people per gorilla family. Drive off to the start of the trail, accompanied by well-armed game rangers who will be communicating with other game rangers who follow the movements of mountain gorillas and will inform your team where to locate these giants. The trek takes anything from half an hour to 8 hours depending on the movements of the gorilla families.
This gorilla trekking experience is breathtaking, memorable and one of a kind you shouldn’t miss while in Uganda. You will encounter the gorillas and as well as other wildlife such as forest monkeys and many bird species. Afterwards you will go back to the park office where you will be rewarded with a gorilla trekking certificate. Return to your lodge for some refreshments and then take a nature walk to see the Batwe people, the caves they stay in, and the Bafubira communities who dominate the place. Back to your lodge for overnight.
Wake up early in the morning around 6:30am and after breakfast transfer to the park office for a briefing on golden monkey trekking. You will either take a full day golden monkey habituation or a half day golden monkey trekking. Proceed to the forest in groups of 6 people in search for the golden monkeys. When you come across them you will be given one hour to enjoy viewing them. Afterwards return to your lodge to relax, have dinner and overnight.
This day marks the end of your mountain gorilla trekking and golden monkey experience and you will be transferred back to Kampala or to Entebbe International Airport to catch your departure flight.