- 4 Days from$1000 p/p in USD
- DeparturesJan, Feb, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
An exciting trekking safari that takes you to the top of the magnificent Mount Meru, one of Tanzania’s spectacular volcanic peaks, situated in the Arusha National Park. Make your way to the top of Africa’s fifth highest peak while also getting a chance to witness beautiful game sightings of the wildlife that inhabit the reserve. A trek that is often used as an ideal warm-up climb for the mighty Mount Kilimanjaro, yet is a rewarding and challenging climb in its own right. Walk along the rim of the volcano’s crater on your journey to the top before you summit as the sun is rising, offering spectacular views of the surrounding landscapes of Tanzania.
- Safari types:Guided Safari, Mountain Safari, Trekking Safari
- You will visit:Arusha National Park, Mount Meru
- Wildlife:Birds, Antelope, Zebra, Giraffe, Hippo, Elephant, Leopard, Buffalo, Colobus Monkey, Dik Dik
- Activities:Game Drive, Trekking, Hiking
- Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
- Start/end:Start/end in Arusha
- Minimum age:13
Price Per Person – USD
From USD 1,000 per person
Wildlife safari add-on options are available for guests who wish to extend their trip, please enquire for details
- Professional, experienced mountain guides
- Overnight stays in comfortable mountain huts
- All meals & drinking water, during the trek
- Cooks serving healthy, nutritious meals
- Porters to help carry your gear
- All park & rescue fees
- Return airport/hotel transfers
- Flights & visas
- Medical & travel insurance
- Personal expenses & tips
- Accommodation in Arusha
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘African Travel Tour‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘African Travel Tour‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
After an early breakfast in Arusha, you will be picked up from your hotel and driven to the Momella gate at the entrance to the Arusha National Park. Here you will have a chance to meet your climbing team and register for the climb. The first day of hiking is similar to a walking safari with the opportunity to see giraffes, zebras and even elephants along the trail. The presence of wild game means you will be escorted by an armed ranger during the trek. Continue past the Ngarenanyuki River and a beautiful waterfall at the base of Mount Meru. Later you will arrive at your camp for the evening, greeted by a warm meal. Enjoy the beautiful sunset and prepare for your next day of hiking.
Elevation: 1,400m – 2,500m | hiking time: 5h-7h
After breakfast you will start the hike by making your way up a steep trail along the saddle ridge, with some potential wildlife sightings on the way. Today’s trail has views of Mount Meru’s Crater and the Ash Tray. Once you arrive at the camp, you will have the option of hiking up Little Mount Meru at an altitude of 3,820m on an acclimatisation hike. You will be served an early dinner, giving you time to rest before your midnight summit attempt.
Elevation: 2,500m – 3,500m | hiking time: 3h-5h
Your guide will wake you up around midnight for tea and biscuits before you set off on a long day as you attempt to summit the mountain. The trail starts off with a steep climb to Rhino Point and later reaches Cobra Point. On your final push you will make your way along the rocky ridge between the crater and inner cliffs of Meru before finally reaching the summit at sunrise where you can enjoy the spectacular views of Mount Meru’s Ash Tray with a backdrop of the snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro in the distance. Descend to Saddle Hut for a short break before continuing to Miriakamba Hut for a well deserved meal.
Elevation: 3,500m – 4,566m – 2,500m | hiking time: 10h-12h
After a leisurely breakfast, you will begin your final descent to Momella gate. Hike through the forest and meadows where you will have the opportunity to see some more wildlife before reaching the base of the mountain to meet your driver who will take you back to Arusha.
Elevation: 2,500m – 1,400m | hiking time: 2h-3h