- 4 Days from$489 p/p in USD
- DeparturesYear Round
Guided, Large Group, Small Group
Camping, Mid Range
Lake Challa, a hidden gem, is the perfect place to relax and unwind from the busy city life. The remote caldera lake on the border of Tanzania and Kenya is only 55 km from Moshi and therefore the perfect get away for a day. Pure tranquility and beautiful nature await you at the lake. Explore the area on one of the many possible hikes, kayak across borders or simply enjoy the stunning vistas of an untouched Africa. The hilly terrain makes it a challenging ride as you pass the Kilema, Marangu and Mwika villages but then you finish off with a relaxing downhill ride to beautiful Lake Challa for overnight at a campsite. The next day immerse yourself in the history of Marangu, on the lower slopes of Kilimanjaro, and its people. This small town has a great amount of history and ancient traditions. Get carried away by the Chagga tribe, unique rainforest landscape and coffee growing region.
- Safari types:Cultural Safari, Cycle Safari, Guided Safari
- You will visit:Lake Chala
- Wildlife:Birds, Blue Monkey, Vervet Monkey
- Activities:Hiking, Kayak, Village Visit, Cultural Experience, Mountain Bike
- Getting around:Transfer Vehicle, Bicycle
- Start/end:Start in Moshi, end in Moshi
- Minimum age:5
- Amazing scenery
- Cycling on the slopes of Mt Kilimanjaro
- Canoe and swimming
- Hiking to the Ndoro Waterfalls
- Chagaa ancient caves & museum
- Cultural experience with the local Chagga people
Price Per Person – USD
From USD 489 per person
- One night while on the trip & one night at hotel in Moshi
- 3 meals a day, snacks & fruits, 3+ liters of mineral water everyday
- Tour guide(s), bike mechanic, driver & cook
- Mountain bikes & helmets
- Camping gears (tents, mattress, chairs & tables)
- Support vehicle (backup vehicle)
- Village fees, camping fees, WMA fees (Wildlife management Conservation Area)
- Cycling fees & all entry fees
- Complete first aid kit (for use in emergencies only)
- Flights & visas
- Tips for guide, bike mechanic, driver & cook
- Sleeping bag (can be rented)
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel and medical insurance
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Oclaa Adventure & Safaris‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Oclaa Adventure & Safaris‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
You will be picked up at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) or in Arusha, and transferred to your hotel in Moshi town situated on the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Today you will meet your guide who will brief you about your upcoming tour and together you will do the bike fitting. For those who arriving on the morning, you will have ample time to go for a quick warming-up ride through Moshi town.
- Accommodation: Park View Hotel
In the morning you will picked up from your accommodation and ride to Lake Challa Safari Camp, with a support van that will be accompanied by the driver and cook. You’ll pass the villages of Mabogini, Kahe, Miwaleni, Hilili and Challa itself and after 25 km from Moshi you’ll have a short break for some fruit. Continue for about 10 km more and stop somewhere in the bush for lunch. Upon arrival to Lake Challa, you will see the beautiful private game reserve overlooking the Crater Lake. Your guide will take you to the river bed, dry river and the big dried crater, later down to the lake. Spend the day exploring and kayaking. You will experience the natural beauty of the green scenery and landscape as well as have the opportunity to meet local people doing their daily activity. There is a very high possibility of spotting monkeys such as the velvet monkey and blue monkey, and many different birds, that live in this wonderful savannah land.
- Path: Off road & paved road
- Accommodation: Camping at Lake Challa
- Meals: Lunch & Dinner
In the morning you’ll ride your bicycle to Marangu Gate (1900m), the starting point for all Kilimanjaro treks via the Marangu Route. Option to keep on biking all the way up to Marangu gate. You will have the opportunity to take pictures of the mighty Kilimanjaro and get a sense of the spirit of the mountain. The area around Marangu is home to the local Chagga tribe and you will learn all about their history and traditions on this full day excursion.
Our second stop will be visit a small coffee farm, where you will learn about how the coffee is grown, harvested and processed locally. Try your own hand at processing, roasting and preparing a fresh cup of coffee. Once you have finished enjoying your coffee break, another highlight will be the visit to the Chagga Underground Caves and the Chagga Live Museum. In times of drought the Maasai migrated up the lower slopes of Kilimanjaro, in search of food and water. They enslaved and killed the local Chagga people. In defense of these attacks the Chagga built an extensive network of underground caves. Your guide will lively illustrate you the conflict while you visit the caves. After there we will depart for the Ndoro Waterfalls. Our hike to the base of the waterfall will lead us through lush green landscape and the descend takes approximately 30 minutes. Here you have the opportunity to relax and take a refreshing bath in the pool of the waterfall.
We then continue to spend some time at the Chagga Live Museum, a small outdoor museum, which will give you further insides into traditional Chagga life. Here you will be served a traditional hot meal, later you will also have the chance to try the local spirits such as banana beer and wine.
- Accommodation: Mountain Kilimanjaro Resort
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
In the morning will make our way back to Moshi, passing through the different villages at the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro. You will cycle through the suburbs and outskirts of Moshi Town on the back roads as you head towards the Park View Hotel which marks the end of your incredible 4-day journey on two wheels. You will finish off the evening with a nice celebratory sparkling Champagne to toast your achievement.
- Accommodation: Park View Hotel
- Meals: Breakfast & Lunch