- 2 Days from$550 p/p in USD
- DeparturesYear Round
Guided, Small Group
Zambia’s South Luangwa National Park boasts one of the largest concentrations of game in Africa including lions, elephants, buffalos, giraffes, antelopes and many other animals which live and breed here, together with 460 bird species that have been recorded in the park. Game drives often pass up to 15 different species of animal on a single trail, allowing adventurers to spot anything from lions to hyenas, warthogs to the rare puku and beyond. Follow the call of the wild on this short trip through a land full of life. On this safari there is no group leader but a local guide with the idea being that you maintain a level of independence during down time. You’ll most likely travel on a join-in basis, which means you may or may not be joined by others for activities and transportation, depending on demand.
- Safari types:Guided Safari, Wildlife Safari
- You will visit:South Luangwa National Park, North Luangwa National Park
- Wildlife:Birds, Antelope, Zebra, Hippo, Crocodile, Giraffe, Elephant, Lion, Leopard, Cheetah, Buffalo, Hyena, Wild Dog, Roan, Sable, Impala, Warthog, Lechwe, Wildebeest, Vervet Monkey, Baboon
- Activities:Game Drive, Walking Safari
- Getting around:Game Viewing Vehicle
- Start/end:Start in Mfuwe, end in Mfuwe
- Minimum age:7
Delivering a Safe Experience for YOU: A Health and Safety Assistant together with a tour guide and driver will accompany you on this safari tour. This is to ensure that you receive a safe experience through enhanced cleanliness and hygiene best practices throughout the journey.
This itinerary starts and finishes in Mfuwe. Transfers are available at an additional cost from both Chipata if you travel by bus from Lusaka and Mfuwe Airport if you come by plane.
Price Per Person – USD
From USD 550 per person
- Accommodation & meals
- Transfers in Mfuwe
- Certified and registered tour guides – experienced tour guides with in-depth area knowledge of South Luangwa National Park
- Flights & visas
- Any additional meals & excursions
- All alcoholic & non-alcoholic drinks
- Laundry services
- Travel and health insurance
- Park entry fees for non Zambians @ USD20 (subject to change), Vehicle park entry fee of Zambian registered @ K25.50 and foreign registered vehicles @ U$20 ZAWA camping fee of U$ 5 per person per night payable to ZAWA for all nationalities.
- All medical examinations and COVID-19 tests costs related issues of obtaining the relevant documentations are excluded in this package
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Send Us Tours Zambia‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Send Us Tours Zambia‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
You’re free to arrive at any time today as there are no activities planned. If you’re looking to take a transfer from Chipata bus stop to Mfuwe or Mfuwe Airport, this can be arranged for an additional cost. You may wish to arrive before 2pm if you’d like to make the most of this trip by witnessing the scenic savannah around Mfuwe on an optional activity. The lodge is comfortable so kicking back with a drink as the odd animal wanders past is a fine way to while away the afternoon before the rest of the group arrives. Dinner is included tonight and is a great way to meet other travelers staying at the lodge and share the days experiences and sightings.
Today is a full day for experiencing the wilds of South Luangwa National Park, keeping an eye and an ear out for trumpeting elephants, chuckling baboons, roaring lions and many other exciting animals. Begin the day with a morning game drive to see these beasts at their most active, followed by a bit of down time at the lodge when the sun burns at its hottest. Once the sun cools down in the evening, jump on board the safari vehicle once again and travel back to South Luangwa National Park. Animals will likely be cooling down at the banks, playing and drinking in these less intense conditions.
South Luangwa National Park is the embodiment of big game country. Huge herds of buffalo and elephants are often seen around the savannah, matched by the size of the local lion prides. Many African elephants roam the park – these majestic beasts are the largest known subspecies of elephant in the world. There’s also the chance to see zebra, impala, wildebeest, giraffe, lion, leopard, hyena, jackal, warthog, impala, baboon, monkeys and many more – the area is positively teeming with life, and that’s before mentioning the birds! Avian life around the river is truly spectacular with sightings of saddle-billed storks, malachite kingfishers, fish eagles, goliath herons and beautiful bee-eaters often seen fluttering around the banks. Elephants will often congregate to play and drink in the Luangwa river, and hippopotamus sightings are fairy frequent too. You might even spot a crocodile on the riverbanks, although these fearsome beasts are surprisingly shy. Return to the lodge in the evening to spend your last night with the group reminiscing about the day just past. Perhaps enjoy a drink and chat about the animals just witnessed on this exciting day.
Awake in the morning and take your pick. You can either take a leisurely breakfast at the lodge and then depart to your next destination. Alternatively, embark on an optional game drive to Nsefu / North Luangwa National Parks for more animal spotting and walking safari (at additional costs).