7 Days from$8675 p/p in USD
On this small group expedition, spend time in the heart of polar bear denning territory and with luck see polar bear mothers and cubs as well as black bears, wolves, moose, caribou, migratory birds, and at night the mesmerising northern lights. Stay in remote Nanuk Polar Bear Lodge with exclusive access to one of the most pristine wilderness areas in the world and within very close proximity to significant polar bear denning activity. The lodge has a warm, cosy lounge with large picture windows overlooking magnificent Hudson Bay, the perfect place to relax with fellow travellers after an exciting day.
Safari types:Polar Bear Safari
You will visit:Churchill
Getting around:Transfer Vehicle
Start/end:Start/end in Winnipeg
- Enjoy excellent opportunities for aerial photography during the flight to and from Nanuk Polar Bear Lodge
- Stay in the heart of polar bear denning territory, where the boreal forest ends and the Subarctic begins
- Wildlife sightings include polar bears, black bears, wolves, moose and a remarkable diversity of bird species
- On a clear night you may also have a chance to view the spectacular aurora borealis
- Accommodation in rooms with private bathroom
- 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Internal flights
Cape Tatnam Wildlife Management Area
- Daily excursions to explore this area which surrounds the lodge
- Here the boreal forest ends and the Subarctic begins – this unique meeting of eco-systems, nourished by the Hudson Bay coastal waters, is home to an impressive variety of flora and fauna including wolves, black bears and polar bears, co-existing as they have for thousands of years
- There’s a remarkable diversity of some 130 bird species – the lodge enjoys a unique location on the renowned migration fly-way while this safari takes place at the start of the fall migration of Arctic nesters; the massive flocks filling the air can be awe inspiring as they begin their earnest quest towards their winter homes
RATES – PER PERSON GBP
From £6,788 per person, based on 2 sharing a room with private bathroom
Minimum group size: 1
Maximum group size: 16
- Accommodation in rooms with private bathroom: 2 nights in Winnipeg, 4 nights at Nanuk Polar Bear Lodge
- 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Internal flights between Winnipeg, Gillam and Nanuk Polar Bear Lodge
- 24 hour emergency assistance from our team during your holiday
- No surcharge guarantee
- International flights – Airfares start from around £550 per person and are quoted separately to the holiday price. When enquiring, our Travel Specialists will provide the best fare possible from your preferred airline/airport.
- This itinerary is owned and delivered by ‘Discover The World‘
- All prices are ‘From’ and may vary at the time of booking
- Display price is usually based on two people sharing
- ‘Discover The World‘ reserves the right to change the content and price of the itinerary
- All itineraries are subject to availability
Day by Day Overview
Arrive in Winnipeg where you will enjoy a relaxing stay in the heart of the city. This evening you will meet your fellow travel companions and adventure specialist. You will need your rest for your early morning departure to Churchill.
You will depart Winnipeg for Churchill early in the morning and upon arrival in Churchill you will transfer to a private charter for your one hour flight to Nanuk Polar Bear Lodge. You may have some excellent opportunities for aerial photography during the flight so make sure you have your camera ready. Upon arrival at the lodge your hosts will provide a tour and show you to your room. Lunch is served shortly after your arrival and you will then be given an orientation regarding your stay in polar bear country. Your first day includes an interpretive walk on the inland Palsa Bogs and Tundra Ponds adjacent to the Taiga Forest and the Hudson Bay coastline. After dinner there will be an informative lecture or slide show presentation narrated by one of the knowledgeable guides. If it is a clear night you may also have a chance to view one of the spectacular aurora borealis displays common at this latitude.
Breakfast will generally be served at around 8am and activities will commence shortly after. If there are bears near the lodge your tour may be delayed to take advantage of the photo and observation opportunities. The option is also always available for anyone to stay behind to take photos of the wildlife around the lodge and relax.
Daily outings may vary depending on the weather and ground conditions but are likely to include a morning and afternoon excursion with lunch served at the lodge or out on the trail. There will be opportunities to explore the tidal flats and Hudson Bay shoreline and photograph polar bears and other abundant wildlife, on these days lunch is served around campfire. During the evenings there will be informative lectures and slide show presentations. Staff will also monitor the aurora borealis after dark and if conditions are optimal they will provide a gentle wake up call to ensure you don’t miss any opportunities to witness and photograph this spectacular Arctic phenomenon.
After another hearty lodge breakfast we will begin air transfers back to Churchill. Have your cameras ready for the return flight as it affords excellent opportunities for great aerial shots. Today is your last day in Churchill. You’ll arrive in Churchill where your bags will be stored for you until your flight back to Winnipeg later in the day. You are then free to explore and wine and dine in this frontier community at your leisure (note: a hot chocolate and a pastry in the Gypsy Bakery is a must). We recommend local places such as Cape Merry, the Port of Churchill, the Eskimo Museum, as well as the Parks Canada exhibit which are all of great interest. Later you will be transferred to the airport in preparation for your flight back to Winnipeg. Upon your arrival into Winnipeg, collect your bags and take your shuttle transfer to your hotel.
After a restful sleep you fly home, marking the end of your Arctic adventure.